Woah, I actually have a real problem with my teen. I trusted him...

well, i slept on it and decided i'm still pissed. thanks for all the mom bashing, y'all are truly inspirational. No wonder they took the answer tab away from this place. it's where lame moms go to die. have fun =)

He's 15. I have asked more than once if he had a FB. We do not allow them in our family. He said NO. I even searched by his name and ph# and found nothing. Well tonight I guess I walked quietly up the stairs and he didn't hear me so I busted him with a FB page up! He shut it down immediately but I realized how he's been hiding it since I DO check the browser history. He has 2 browsers open at once so when he hears me coming he completely closes out the FB browser and leaves the "clean" one up.

So, I demanded the log in info, made him shut down the PC, and I took his phone. I am disgusted and sad. I trusted this boy. He is my best friend. And now I see he is just a typical lying teen. The FB doesn't contain anything particularly bad. There is one mildly sexual reference but the rest is just normal teen stuff.

I am heartbroken. What do I do?

Tesserae

Asked by Tesserae at 12:17 AM on May. 23, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• It was an honest question. You say you trust him but with you checking on him over every single little thing, it shows him that you don't trust him. Other than this has he given you a reason not to trust him?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:21 AM on May. 23, 2012

• I wonder if your son is on fb right now ragging about his controlling mother.

Status update:
    I won't be on for awhile, the bit**y rent found out I have a fb account.
    comment:
    word
    iwicked

Answer by iwicked at 12:34 AM on May. 23, 2012

• If that is all he is sneaky about at 15, you are blessed.
    iwicked

Answer by iwicked at 12:20 AM on May. 23, 2012

• I work in a High School... FB and Twitter is how they communicate... by not allowing it you are cutting off or cutting him out of most communication. If having a FB page is the worst he's doing you have it pretty good. ALL kids lie about something, that's a FACT!! In the general scheme of things this really isn't so bad!!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:40 AM on May. 23, 2012

• I haven't told you any standards. I asked you why you don't want him on FB which you haven't answered. Other people asked too. If you just TOLD us then we might understand a bit better but you won't. Anyway I'm done on this question. I'll just chalk it up to you being an overbearing, control freak.

Have a great night.
    xXMarlyeXx

Answer by xXMarlyeXx at 12:42 AM on May. 23, 2012

• Marlye, you got the overbearing, control freak right. I thought I remembered seeing her screen name in Confessions. She posted earlier about sitting in between her son and his girlfriend during a movie.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:45 AM on May. 23, 2012

• Tesserae,

the PP asked in a kind gentle manner. It was not critical or mean. It honestly might help others to answer your question of "What do I do" if they can understand from the point of view you are coming.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:21 AM on May. 23, 2012

• So you take the phone, and password protect the computer. Not rocket science.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:26 AM on May. 23, 2012

• Wow lying about having a FB is absolutely nothing compared to either of those things. That's pretty ignorant to say. You asked our advice/opinions and we gave them. If you aren't prepared for them then don't post it on a public forum. Maybe YOU'RE the one who doesn't need social networking (CafeMom)
    xXMarlyeXx

Answer by xXMarlyeXx at 12:35 AM on May. 23, 2012

• I told him he could Twitter. He refused to Twitter. And this must be why...

b/c those he want's to stay in touch with are on FB... it's a social thing... and social interaction, or not being on the outside, is so important to a HS kid.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:46 AM on May. 23, 2012