embarrassing question?

i was raised by a single father and he never taught me the correct way to wipe" down there"...going front to back is awkward and not a smooth action. and i can't reach from behind. i now have a daughter, and i'm afraid i won't be able to properly teach her. is it ok to just pat dry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Health

• It is very important. I didn't do it the right way when I was a kid, and I constantly had recurring UTI's which eventually led to a bladder infection and then later on when I was older I had a really bad kidney infection. These things are horribly painful, and can be damaging, so it is much easier to teach her the right way when you start teaching her. I have my daughter reach around behind her and wipe from front to back. She does great with it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Not really. You should wipe front to back. I know that I don't and will try to teach my DD to do it the right way.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• In my opinion, I think that's okay. I didn't find out until I was older that I was doing it the wrong way. I don't know if I wasn't taught that or what but now it feels awkward to me to. I still do it the wrong way and I have never had a problem.
    Anonymous

• this is gonna be TMI but i wipe the same way. the doc told me as long as i wasnt wipping it into my crotch it shouldnt be a problem but you should try to teach her front to back. no one taught me one way or the other i just did what i found comfortable.
    Anonymous

• um...does that mean you reach around completely from back? like you put your arm around to your back side and wipe from the front of your crotch to your butt??
    Anonymous

• that seems really uncomfortable. i wipe my butt front to back, but my crotch middle to front. yay!
    Anonymous

• I do front to back but our daughter is little and concerned with falling in so she taps the front and I wipe the back. She is only 3 and still needs help wiping her bottom, which you should always do front to back. The main concern is not to wipe feces forward as that can cause infection.
    The other thing I noticed is that if they just tap that need to wash there every day, even if they don't have a bath that day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• As long as you dont wipe across your butt and then over your vagina/urethra, the direction doesnt matter. The idea is to not contaminate your urethra and vagina with bacteria from your butt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• When it comes to the butt I've always wiped front to back and never found it awkward. lol I just lift my right cheek and get right back there. It never even occured to me that anyone wipes differently. =)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2009