1 year old doesn't know what he wants?

So lately(for the past 3 months or so), my son doesn't want to play with any of his toys! all he wants to do is have me pick him up. but once i do, he starts whining again, and wants to get down. and then once i put him down, he wants to be picked up again. i've tried sitting down there with him to help him get into his toys, but i'm the only one who ends up playing with them. he'll like push them away and come over to me. i've also tried pots and lids and tupperware and anything i think he might find more interesting than a regular old toy. he played with them for maybe 10 minutes and didn't ever play with them again. i really don't know what to do. no matter what i do(hold him, play with him, give him something interesting to play with) nothing is good enough. he just keeps whining.

o, and he is teething right now and i've taken care of that sitch. and he's not sick in any way, he just went to the dr today.

HELP!

jadylady

Asked by jadylady at 11:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son went through a "mommy phase" he was up my butt all the time. Enjoy it, before you know it he'll think its uncool to hang with mom!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• yeah...i don't think i can enjoy it even if i wanted to...
    jadylady

Answer by jadylady at 11:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Imagine having a toothache in your whole mouth...........that may make me a little cranky. At 1yr old, a baby has no reasoning of pain. They just feel it. I imagine its probably getting on your nerves........but you are the mom. You are the center of his world. The sun rises and sets on you. Its a phase and he will out grow it.........but right now its all about you.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Try carrying him in something. All 3 of mine have/are going through this right now. My 13 m/o wants up, then down, she's starving but then won't eat, tired but won't sleep...ect. I've started wrapping her to me facing out so she can see things & play with them while I do my stuff. She's not as demanding or uncertain any more. I think she wants to explore, but needs the safety of Mommy right there at all times. It's frustrating sometimes.
    3earthangels

Answer by 3earthangels at 12:06 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Give him a bath. My kids loved the water at that age. I could read a novel on the toilet while they played in the tub. I hope it works! Good luck!!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• my son is like 20 something pounds! if i strapped him to me i dont think my back would ever forgive me. (having DDD's doesn't help either! LOL)
    lakecia01

Answer by lakecia01 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My does that too.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It's a phase. He's in pain and doesn't know how to deal with it. He wants his comfort source, which is you. Then he gets you and is in so much agony that he wants to try something else, looking for the cure to his discomfort.

Love him, squeeze him, deal with it for a while. It won't last forever. Hang in there mama!
    Anonymous