my daughter turned 5 in december and still sucks a pacifier at nap time and bedtime, how can i stop this, running out of ideas.

easygoing144

Asked by easygoing144 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Go buy or pull out a week or two's worth of stuffed animals of whateve size - they're comforting and cuddly. Tell dd she can hug and sleep with a different one every night for a week or two. Assuming she sleeps in her own bed already you don't want her to need you to sleep always with her instead of the pacifier. I remember letting my son cry it out to sleep in his crib and he kept calling out is any one there over and over. It was SO hard. But it helped him to grow. You're not a bad mom for taking it away at this age. You're a good mom for finally taking it away, it'd be really bad for her to be teased in kindergarten in nap time if she's not already. You can do this mom, it's important to.
    Anonymous

• whoa, do u have any idea what your doing to her teeth?! that should have been taking away LONG time ago. years ago in fact.
    Anonymous

• Take it away. Let her cry it out but do not cave. It is time for her to let go. I know that you are going to feel badly for her but just do not give in and good luck:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• wow anon that was pretty harsh..but true sorry OP JMO
    in referance to your ? maybe you could try taking it from her after shes already asleep. or take her to the store and get her a new stuffed animal or somthing to sleep with and tell her if shes wants that with her nap she cant have the paci
    good luck
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• you could take it away it is bad for teeth.But then she may resort to sucking fingers and that hurts teeth.maybe take it away and give her a security blanket?
    summerray5

Answer by summerray5 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• When I worked for a pedi and kid was having a hard time giving it up we would ask to give their pacifier to us so that we can give to the babies at the hospital. It worked with a lot of kids. I would try to get her to think that it is her idea though. Kids at this age respond better if they think that it is their idea. Mention to her that the babies at the hospital need some pacifiers and see if maybe she want to donate. I wish you all the luck, b/c this is something that you should have done before she was 2 so it is going to be a little harder.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:00 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i agree with coala, make it seem like the "big girl" thing to do. good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i took away the paci from my 20 month old today. I cut the top off of it. he complained for a little while that his "pwug is bwoked" but he got over it and went to bed just fine. Shell get over it, just get rid of it and dont give in to her whinning.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Uhhh, throw them away. At that age, there is no need for "weaning" or "oh let's give these to the pacifier fairy"...... throw the things away and let her scream about it for a night or two, it won't kill her. That's just ridiculous.
    My2J.A.P.s

Answer by My2J.A.P.s at 12:15 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Tell her class at school! Just kidding! Peer pressure would stop her though. I might tell her she can't ever have sleepovers until she gets rid of the pacifier. That might be incentive?
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 29, 2009