Painful head cold in 1st trimester of pregnancy, any creative suggestions?

Mainly my sinuses are stuffy and my throat aches. Any advice would be much appreciated because I seriously need some kind of relief!

orgaincsmama

Asked by orgaincsmama at 12:26 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• try some hot tea with honey, the honey should help your thoart and just some sleep a lot of sleep!
    dlepasti

Answer by dlepasti at 12:27 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• for your sinuses for the swelling to go down boil some water with salt.. and just inhale the vapor from it! :D
    someone told me to do tht and oOMG did it work!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• oh with the tea squeeze a lemon wedge too!
    dlepasti

Answer by dlepasti at 12:28 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• the sinses you should try this thing that the have at walgreens or cvs, it looks like a tea pot and you but warm water in it.. then you put it in your nose and it clears all the junk in your sinses
    dlepasti

Answer by dlepasti at 12:29 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I drink "throat coat" by traditional medicinals.. it's amazing and I add honey.

for sinus' I go into the bathroom and let the hot water run, and steam it out. then take a nice warm bath with a couple drops eucalyptus oil in it. it's awesome.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:30 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• oh, it's called a neti pot lol. :)
    celticreverie

• I had a horrible cold in my first trimester that lasted forever. As you probably know, there are very few medicines that are safe to take...here's what helped me. Hot showers with lots of steam, saline nose drops/rinses (that was THE most helpful), honey for my throat, salt water gargles, propping myself up in bed with lots of pillows (or sleeping in a recliner) and tons!!! of liquids. FIY Mine ended up turning into a horrible chest cold and I was coughing, wheezing, and having a hard time breathing (typical very bad cold symptoms) ..it was very important to see a doctor at that point because my obgyn said that any constricted breathing is considered worse for fetal development that the medications that can help..also that extensive coughing can cause premature labor (not sure about in the first trimester?!)..just thought I would mention that in case your cold gets worse. Sip some soup and give you body a rest. good luck
    gretchilou

Answer by gretchilou at 12:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Take a warm shower, then use a neti pot (or neti rinse). I'm breastfeeding and had a nasty sinus cold last weekend, this was all I used and it worked pretty well!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Use a neti pot (saline to rinse your sinuses) and take a hot shower with some of those sudacare shower tablets thrown in...well just one at a time. You can find them on the cold/flu aisle. I'd also suggest some chammomile tea (yep its safe) or at least gargle some mint tea to ease your throat . I couldnt' find good evidence if mint tea was good or bad, so I just gargled it and spit it out. Gross but it worked. A vaporizer/humidifyer would also be a good idea. You should also get a menthol nasal inhaler. Its basically a tiny tube that you sniff mentalated air, its very safe (and reccomended!) The only medicine the doc said was ok was Sudafed,but only take one dose a day. You may want to ask your doc first, and at the next appointment request a list of preggo happy med (my doc gave me one I keep on the fridge.)
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 1:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2009