at what age do you have the "talk" with you children?

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• well i start right away @ 3 yrs!!!! for my nephew did things to his little sis and brother so i start telling them that its not right to touch anyone but ur self and only doctors or parents look and touch if u have a problem there. i don't want that to happen to me with my kids so i try to tell them now but not like over do it. i heard on tv its never a wrong time to start younger the better but id do more detail prob at 10 my steep son who's 10 just started to ask about it
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 12:37 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• you say 3 yrs..... how exactly do you go about doing that at 3??
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 12:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I talk to her little by little as questions come up. She is 8 now and pretty knowlegable about sex. I have always been very open and honest with her...even since 5 or 6 years old.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 12:58 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• any age is a good age but the soon the better just tell her that it's not okay if some one touches her personal areas and explain what her personal areas are cuz if something does happen and you report it she will have to know what the actual names are cuz they dont take the words of nick names or anything like that I know this cuz this happened to my little sister they couldnt do it cuz she didnt know the exact words and he's still walking the streets now
    1SkylersMommy1

Answer by 1SkylersMommy1 at 1:07 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• oh wow 1skylersmommy.. if i was your mom i would of gone after that guy myself!!

my son is two.. so how do i go about introducing him to his "parts?" what do i call them??
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• my daughter knew at 2 1/2 when I got pregnant. Course it was a g rated version. We had the offical talk at 10.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Well, we expected when he was in 2nd grade or 3rd or so, but in 1st grade he came and tried to explain it to us! What, as he was our first we didn't take into consideration...yes, he was our first, but he had friends who were the "baby" and learning from older brothers. So we quick got a book, sat him down and explained. Since Heath's a boy, Daddy did the explaining -- if it had been a girl, it would have been me! So, yes, we explained earlier than we wanted too, but we wanted him to hear it from us. Same with all the others down the line to Todd!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• MommaBear1129 - when you're introducing him to his body use the correct names. He's a boy, he has a penis, testicals etc...
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 9:20 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• We went for an ultra sound yesterday and my Alomost 3y/o said when he saw the baby on the monitor... "theres a baby im momies tummy.. How'd it get there"??
    So I am kind of wondering the same thing... how do I tell him with out really telling him.. My oarents never had the talk with me I was 11 when my sis had her first. She was 15-16..
    I watched my neice come into this world and I swore I would wait to have a baby.. Well I made it to 21 and now at 23 I still wonder my self how a baby is created.. I know HOW but its weird to think of two liquids becoming a solid person.. Sorry for rammbling.. When you find out let me know too!
    TravisJohnsmama

Answer by TravisJohnsmama at 12:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Keep in mind - a one time talk lead to just that - a one time talk. Your child will probably never talk to you again about this topic. He'll take his questions and concerns to friends instead.

So, don't have "a talk". Have an 18 year discussion. Let him (or her) know that ALL questions will be answered and talked about, no matter what the question, no matter the age.

I fully expect my daughter to ask why daddy looks different from mommy soon (she's 2.5). And I expect her to ask why she looks different from mommy too. Will I give her the full "talk"? No. But I will answer her questions as best I can, in an age appropriate way. By the time she hits grade school, she needs to know the basics because some of her classmates will know and the older kids at school will know too. When they give her wrong info, I want her to have the truth ready to go.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2009