The Episcopal Church is considering adopting a service for...

burial of animals.
Using the following prayers
At the burial of a farm animal

Most gracious, good Lord, we are the people of your pasture and the sheep of your hand: We thank you for placing among us the beasts of the field and allowing us to care for them, and to receive from them food and clothing to meet our necessities. We grieve this day the death of A., and we return to you a creature of your own making, one who served as an effective sign of the generosity of your love for us; through Jesus Christ our Good Shepherd, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

At the death of a wild animal

Almighty God, who make the beasts of the wild move in beauty and show forth the glory of your Name: We grieve the death of this creature, in whose living and dying the power of your Spirit was made manifest. We reverence the loss of that which was never ours to claim but only to behold with wonder; through Jesus Christ our Redeemer, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

What do you think of this proposed practice?

As a side note a Vatican official when informed of this said - (For the Catholics) “I have my own prayer at the death of a wild animal. It begins, ‘Bless, O Lord, and these thy gifts . . .’”

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 3:51 PM on May. 23, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I'm not Episcopalian ~ but I do raise animals for meat, and our family still hunts occasionally. I tend to thank God for what I have, and I try to do it as often as possible. That being said, one of the reasons that I decided to raise animals for meat was because of how abysmally they are treated and handled in the general meat industry (from the farm to the slaughterhouse). I don't translate 'dominion' into an allowance for cruelty or denying an animal a good life eating what they are intended to eat, and living in healthy and natural conditions. I protect my animals from predators, feed them food that is natural, and I handle them from birth to death. I grow veggies and fruits the same way, in good dirt, without chemicals or poisons.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but rather a misguided attempt to get people to think about the fact that a lot of our food was alive. It isn't knowledge, but it shows some respect.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:35 PM on May. 23, 2012

• Is that last line said over food?
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:55 PM on May. 23, 2012

• Interesting. I know the Episcopal church here does pet/animal blessings each year, you bring your pet in and the priest will bless it.

Lovemyfamily24

Answer by Lovemyfamily24 at 4:04 PM on May. 23, 2012

• Yes it it is said before partaking of a meal.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:44 PM on May. 23, 2012

• The Catholic church does that too.
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 4:08 PM on May. 23, 2012