How can I get my 6 y/o daughter to gain some weight?

She is very skinny, and actually looks like she is being starved but thats not it at all she eats as much as she wants but it doesn't seem to help her in putting on some weight, she was born very preemie (at 25 weeks) but I dont really think that has anything to do with it, is there anything I can buy or make for her to put on some weight?

hautemama83

Asked by hautemama83 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 2 (-14 Credits)
  • u need to talk to the doctor if she is healthy then she is just a stick girl my son is a stick boy lol
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 12:51 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My daughter was the same way. She'll be 8 and she's finally starting to gain a little weight (she's still skinny though) I took her to the doctor and he said everything was fine. She's into a lot of sports so she burns a lot of calories. But she loves to eat...just can't tell.
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 12:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My friend is like that, everyone thought she was doing alot of coke at one point in her life, and i actually had to go to these people and tell them look, this girl eats 3 bowls of cereal for breakfast its her metabolism... and her frame was very tiny too... i wouldnt worry about it. But maybe some bread and lots of startchy stuff if your really worried about it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Trader Joes - yoghurt and cream (140 calories) for a small tub. Our daughter weighed 15 lbs at 1 and this helped her gain weight. Our 5 yr old son still likes it as well.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:20 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• yeah i wouldnt worry about it just yet, but what does the pedi say?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• If your doctor is not worried, I wouldn't be worried. There have been two children in my extended family who were born premature and small. They both were very thin. The doctore wasn't worried but the moms were and supplemented their diets with more calories. Both eventually struggled with being overweight because of poor eating habits developed during the "thin" years. Like everyone has said, check with your doctor. If he/she has no concern this is one of those things you shouldn't worry about, there are plenty of worries about our children.
    its4sandra

Answer by its4sandra at 2:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it. My daughter may only be 3 but she's a skinny skinny girl! I was very tall and skinny for a VERY long time!
    CatherineBird

Answer by CatherineBird at 4:00 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Now is probably the time to worry about it. As long as shes eating right and the Dr. says shes ok. If you try to fatten her up now whos to say she won't become overweight when shes older?
    Anonymous

• If she's eating healthy foods and is otherwise ok then I wouldn't worry about it. My son eats a LOT and he's still a skinny thing. If your really worried then mention it at her next check up.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 1:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2009