• In the Spotlight:

Is Benadryl Safe?

I am 6 wks. pregnant and have had a red, itchy rash for almost 2 wks. now. I don't have insurance yet so can't go to the dr. The rash started around my chest area and has since spread- tummy, arms, back, neck... What I want to know is can I try Benadryl or should I use some sort of cream? It seems almost everything says: "consult with your dr. or pharmacist if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is safe HOWEVER right now you are in the period where all your baby's organs are developing. It's best to avoid taking anything if possible.

If it's really bad go to the ER because they can bill you and medicaid (I'm assuming that's the insurance your waiting on) will pay it when you get it.

Otherwise visit an whole foods and health store. Ask for the "herbist" or whatever they are called. They can help you find something safe and natural to use. Just remember that natural doesn't always mean safe so ask to be sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I'd use a cream just to be safe.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 1:09 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Ask your doctor, but it should be just fine. I took Benadryl nearly every night in the third trimester because I couldn't sleep at night.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Yes, the minimum dosage is considered safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i think after 14 weeks.... i could NOT SLEEP for beans in my 2nd and 3rd trimesters and benedryl saved my life!!!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:20 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Benadryl Is Safe, My Dr Gave Me A List Of Medications I Can And Can Not Take.

Don't Go Crazy Though Your Baby Is In The Developmental Stage So If You Take Too Much It Can Hurt Your Baby.

http://women.webmd.com/pregnancy-taking-medicine
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 2:13 AM on Jan. 29, 2009