2 years and still not diagnosed with anything???? 23 yrs old

I have chronic pain in my joints, ALL of them. Ankles, toes, knees, elbows, wrist, fingers, ect.
I have been doing tests for two years now.

Doc says it's not arthritis, not fibromialga, and not lupus. So those are the only test they have done. No lime disease either. They took and ex-ray of my foot and said it looked normal, and they said there is no inflammation.

They referred me to mental health. I am taking cymbalta which is an anti-depressant, and pain reliever for people who have arthritis, and other chronic pains.

I am no doctor. But I just can't believe that they can run a few tests, and declare there is nothing wrong.

THERE HAS to be more things out there that could cause this kind of pain. I hurt all day....and it's worse at night when I am trying to sleep.

Has anyone gone through something similar, but with a better outcome? Are they missing something?

cloud144

Asked by cloud144 at 12:14 AM on May. 24, 2012 in Health

• Have you had all your vtamin and minerals checked? I had "unexplained" pain a few years ago, I'd get a sharp pain in a joint, like my elbow, and then it would feel like it would shoot down done my bones to my fingers and it would take breathe away. Sometimes it was my elbow or knee, or my hip. My Dr ran a pile of bloodwork and my magnesium levels were very low. A few months of supplements and the pains disapeared. I'm not saying that's what's going on with you, I didn't have chronic pain, but maybe there's something that's aggravating your condition. I hope you get some answers soon, chronic pain often leads to depression and the other way around too, (it's a chicken and the egg kind of situation). Does the cymbalta help? I've thought of discussing it with my doc as an add on to what I already take, depression's a real b*tch, Good luck to you!
    MomVsBoys

Answer by MomVsBoys at 12:46 AM on May. 24, 2012

• When my doctors can't figure it out I google every symptom then I ask the doctor if she dismissed every thing I found. I don't care if she thinks I'm a hypochondriac. I want a reason for my pain. It took her 4 yrs to diagnose my fibromyalgia. Now she can't figure out the reason for my foot pain. I'm also considering going to another doctor. You could try a pain specialist and see if he/she can help.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:27 AM on May. 24, 2012

• I'm sorry!

Have you been checked for MD, Rheumotoid arthritis?

Maybe you can get a second opinion..
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:28 AM on May. 24, 2012

• I would try a different doctor.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:45 AM on May. 24, 2012

• Yes, no rheumatoid
    cloud144

Comment by cloud144 (original poster) at 12:42 AM on May. 24, 2012

• He said that fibromialga is muscle pain, not joint pain???????????????????
    cloud144

Comment by cloud144 (original poster) at 12:45 AM on May. 24, 2012

• Are you taking any medications. Side effects and adverse reactions sometimes are worse than the initial problem. I was taking protonix for GERD. After one year, I started having bone pain that just progressed. After many tests and processs of elimination protonix was the problem for me.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 6:05 AM on May. 24, 2012

• If you haven't already, I'd consider seeing a rheumatologist. It sounds like your doctor has ruled out about everything that comes to my mind as a cause of joint pain, but it doesn't hurt to get another opinion.

For what it is worth, fibromyalgia can also cause joint pain, but there are also some diagnostic criteria specific to that condition that he or she may have already ruled out.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 7:20 AM on May. 24, 2012

• get another opinion
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:20 AM on May. 24, 2012

• no fibromyalgia is in the muscles......muscle fibers to be exact
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:42 AM on May. 24, 2012