What can I do to make life easier for my son and my family?

My son is 2 and was diagnosed with PDD on the Autism Spectrum. He is constantly throwing temper tantrums. He doesn't like to eat most of what I give him. He either looks pissed off or sad. Very rarely does he laugh or smile. I have a 3 1/2 yr old and a 3 month old. My husband and I are constantly stressed out.

rugratsmommy4

Asked by rugratsmommy4 at 1:20 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he has PDD, it's not temper tantrums, and cannot be treated as such. You have to figure out a way to communicate with him and calm him.

Is he receiving any therapy services? Talk to your therapist! S/he will have some great ideas. Many times autism is accompanied by SPD. He could need more sensory stimulation or he's receiving too much stimulation and needs calming. there are techniques for each and a good OT can help you with that.

Also talk to the developmental pediatrician and the other specialists involved with your son's case...ask about more services, about support groups or programs for him.

It's rough, but don't look toward the "next" episode...just handle each one as it comes. Breathe and know the episode will pass....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Im not sure... I would seek out a specialist who can teach you how to work with him better.
    I would also be very patient
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:29 AM on Jan. 29, 2009