How can I increase my milk supply?

My son is 5 months old and drinking more breast milk than I seem to supply. I need advice on how to increase my milk supply to meet his demand. I drink lots of water already...

Rmckay

Asked by Rmckay at 1:29 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• fenugreek, you can buy it on GNC.com or at the GNC store...it works wonders!!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:30 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Thanks, I also heard of mother's milk tea. It that cool?
    Rmckay

Answer by Rmckay at 1:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Yes Mother's Milk Tea is good too. Also try eating oatmeal... gosh I used to have a big list of things to do.

I recommend looking at kellymom.com. There's a HUGE list of things that could help. I love that site for everything breastfeeding!
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 1:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Thanks much...I will check it out now.
    Rmckay

Answer by Rmckay at 1:51 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• What makes you think you have a supply problem? From the way your question is worded, it sounds like you're a working mom and having a hard time pumping enough?

PM me if you have any questions....I'm curious to know your situation. :)
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:16 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• it is a supply/demand thing. my 5 mo old goes through spurts where he eats almost constantly through out the day or he won't eat much.
    CatherineBird

Answer by CatherineBird at 4:17 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• As long as you are eating enough and staying hydrated, and you are getting a good latch when he nurses (or when you pump), then it's a matter of supply and demand. Your baby was demanding a certain amount, so that was how much your body was supplying. Now, he's probably getting ready to go through a growth or development spurt, and he's demanding more, and your body hasn't caught up yet.

But the more you nurse / pump, then the more your body will supply, it might just take a few days to catch up, and in the mean time, he's going to seem like he's needing to nurse constantly.

It's very normal :-) Btw - Mother's Milk tea is really good - I loved it :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:26 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Why do you think you are not producing enough? Just nurse on demand, and your body will keep up.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• all great advice but i wanted to add that cluster pumping can help a lot. It tricks your body into thinking your baby hit a growth spurt.

when you have to pump and can't nurse you can pump 10 minutes, 10 minute break, pump 10 minutes, 10 break, pump 20 minutes. it can help too
    tiffanyjewelz

Answer by tiffanyjewelz at 9:27 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• A lot of moms think they don't have enough milk at this age and they really do. There is a great list of "false alarms" and suggestions for increasing supply at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/increase.html

Working and Pumping and need to pump more?  See http://www.workandpump.com/supply.htm

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009