Advice on trying a new formula

Thank you for all of your advice on my questions about spitting up. My son had his 2 month check up today, and the doc said that hes not concerend about it, but if we would like to we could try switching to a different formula. So just tonight we started him on enfamil prosobee. I was just wondering if anyone has been through a formula change and how long it will take for his tummy to adjust and what results anyone has had with this formula? Hes only had to bottles of it so far and at first he didnt want to drink it and quite a bit of the first one came back up.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 1:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Enfamil AR is what I used. I also added a little rice cereal to it.
    lesliekaym27

Answer by lesliekaym27 at 1:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Is it a soy based formula? I've read that soy can have negative impacts on the development of little boys and girls, bc it has phytoestrogens (molecules that mimic estrogen) and can block the regular hormone development.

Just wondering - you might want to look into it.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 2:32 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Soy formula is fine. There are no negative impacts on the development...that theory was already discounted. It's okay to use.

We switched our oldest to soy to help with constipation. You'll want to watch for either constipation or loose bowels...or no change, but I've seen it go each way.

It will take at least a week before you will see a change. It takes roughly a week for the old formula to get out of his system. It could take another week after that until his system is fully adjusted. This isn't just for switching to a soy formula...it's this way for any formula change.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:04 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• You'll want to do a clean switch. There is no need to mix formula's together or anything you can just start him on the new right away. It can take up to 2 weeks for his system to fully adjust to the new. Just keep an eye out for constipation. In some babies soy can be rather constipating.

RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 11:17 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Yes it is a soy based formula. He spits up a lot and was having problems with constipation. So we are trying Enfamil Prosobee.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:06 AM on Jan. 30, 2009