Where is the humility?

Can you possess humility and preach your faith at the same time? Not referring to answering questions or contributing to a mutual discussion, but in offering unsolicited testimony, advice, however you want to couch it, which implies or outright states that the answer is your faith, which will fix whatever problem someone has. (or for the more forceful, the point of view that your religion is "right", everyone else's is "wrong")

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:26 AM on May. 24, 2012 in Religious Debate

• To have faith and to share your religion with others does not mean you aren't humble. The person isn't praising themselves or saying that they are wonderful. They are saying that there God is wonderful!
    macbudsmom

Answer by macbudsmom at 8:39 AM on May. 24, 2012

• The person isn't praising themselves or saying that they are wonderful.

What is claiming to know the answers if not praising oneself?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:47 AM on May. 24, 2012

• Sharing with someone is not praising myself or saying I have all the answers. I don't, but I do know what He has done for me. If that's praising myself, then so is telling someone what I did last Friday night.

Answer by missanc at 9:15 AM on May. 24, 2012

• You are talking about unsolicited preaching like on the street, right? not in a church on Sunday where the crowd came to hear a message...

I definitely see your point. there is a difference between walking up to a stranger and saying, I can see you are hurting and I know how to fix you. versus someone working in some public ministry and a person walks in asking for help. you can be humble in helping others in need. it is presumptuous to help someone who isn't asking for it. i still think that person reaching out can do so from a place of humility. it all depends on motivation, which is impossible for an outsider to know.

zetajen

Answer by zetajen at 10:43 AM on May. 24, 2012

• Sharing one's testimony with others, is sharing your weakness and the problems that one may have faced and then sharing what God has done for you in regards to those weakness and problems. Witnessing is not suppose to be about us, but what God has done for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 24, 2012

• Good question, NP. I think there's probably a very fine line between simply sharing your faith, and preaching without humility. Some people can do it. They can say that their faith is the only true way (for them), and they somehow keep the humility. Maybe the line is crossed when one states that their faith is the only truth for them, and then they go on to say that it's the only truth for all of us.

If a person is sharing their own story, and they keep it within the 'this is a good thing for me, but maybe not for all' context, then I think there's still some humility there. When one begins to tell others that theirs is the only true way and everyone else is wrong... well there's obviously no humility in that. And when one starts talking out their ass because they think they know it all about their religion, and they think their "struggles" have been identical to all others in similar situations... well then that's dangerous.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:15 PM on May. 24, 2012

• Where is the humility? It is so completely hidden that even THEY don't know where they put it. Can you possess humility and preach your faith at the same time? When you believe that you are privy to THE ANSWER as many godslaves do, humility is out of the question.  You're right about EVERYTHING.  You can speak for your god.  You can consign people to hell in his stead.  You can control every aspect of their lives from sex to marriage to whether or not they can have an abortion.  How do you keep yourself humble when you believe all these things? 

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:32 PM on May. 24, 2012

• So, people are not supposed to spread the word of God or teach about God? It is not a part of my religion to convert others but it a part of my religion to teach about Judaism. I will not walk about to a random stranger and just start talking about Judaism but I will answer questions. People who go to religious services want to be there so of course their Rabbi, Minister, Pastor or Priest will teach about God to them, that IS why they are there. I would rather not be humble than lack morality. To be a humanist or an atheist is to be amoral. You can be a good person and do good things but you cannot have morals because morals are attached to believing in a Higher Power and consequences for your actions.
    Anonymous

• – collapse

Good question, NP. I think there's probably a very fine line between simply sharing your faith, and preaching without humility. Some people can do it. They can say that their faith is the only true way (for them), and they somehow keep the humility. Maybe the line is crossed when one states that their faith is the only truth for them, and then they go on to say that it's the only truth for all of us.

If a person is sharing their own story, and they keep it within the 'this is a good thing for me, but maybe not for all' context, then I think there's still some humility there.

......ad nauseum.....

Could you split the hair any more here? Grief.

I'm NOT anonymous.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:16 PM on May. 24, 2012 (hidden) + expand

• "To be a humanist or an atheist is to be amoral."

To be anon is to be amoral....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:25 PM on May. 24, 2012