Working Moms, How did you deal with returning to work?

My maternity leave is coming to an end and so I must return to work. While I look forward to resuming my career and don't look forward to leaving DS. Any tips on how to cope would be appreciated. Thanks

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 1:58 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree with ppl it is hard. I too cried all the way to work and for the first 3 hrs while I was there. But it has gotten better. What helped me was I called the sitter like every 2 hrs just to see how he was and to hear him in the background. Oh and I even recorded him talking on my cell so I could listen to him while I was gone. What I recommend is before you go back to work go out with DH and friends and leave him with a sitter just for an hour or two every so often this way it should lessen the blow and he will get use to you being gone as well. HTH and GL
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 8:25 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It's hard. If you're breastfeeding, do your best to continue doing so, pump while you're at work. It's always nice to me to know that while she may be away from me, she's still drinking her mommy milk. :)

I also co-sleep, and I feel like it makes up a little bit for the time spent at work.

I will tell you that the first week is the worst, but it gets better.

Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It was so hard for me to return to work after 7 weeks after having my daughter, my daughter is now twenty months old and i just started being able to come to work without crying as I left her.
    Gila

Answer by Gila at 6:14 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I knew it would be the reality from the moment the twins were conceived. By the time that day came, I was amazed at how stress-free it was. The boys did fine, I did fine. You and your child will do fine. Give yourself the freedom to. Guilt and anxiety doesn't have to go hand in hand with returning to work from maternity leave.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I went back when DD was a little over a year old. She did great! Her papi did a wonderful job taking care of her, and also the household responsibilities (washing diapers, cooking dinner, the things I would normally have done at night had I not been working). If your SO is on board with helping you out, all the better! If not, you may have to let things go around the house a bit.

The only difference in DD was that she woke up a lot more at night. She didn't get to see me before she went to bed, so once she woke up at night and realised I was home, she wanted to nurse sooooo much more than usual. Otherwise, she and I handled everything ok! Good luck mama, it is hard, but you gotta do what you gotta do!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:51 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i took a 5 month leave from work it was hard to leave her but she wasnt in daycare my father in law took care of her instead of calling every 5 minutes i didnt cause if i did i knew that i would want to go home and be with her instead my husband called and called me i think that help me out a lot
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i went back to work when my son was 4 weeks old. it was hard but it gets easier. my first week i called home about 10 times in a 6.5 hr shift. lol it easier now. i call my sister once to check in on my boys. it makes me feel better about leaving my boys.
    mamaof2boys148

Answer by mamaof2boys148 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I went back to work after a year with my first and after only 7 weeks with my second-
    it will help you to know that both daughters are very flexible individuals who love to be with me, but also don't mind going to school or daycare. My girls can handle just about any situation that comes their way without much fuss.
    They are both very cuddly and have similar degrees of attachment to me.
    If you make the best of the time you have with your child will not be adversely affected.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 12:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It is easier than you may think. As long as you leave the baby with someone you know will take good care of her. When I returned to work I was lucky enough to find an in-home daycare with a woman who is great. She takes great care of my son (6 months old) and he loves her and her children. Knowing that he is in good hands really makes a difference. Also, when you do come home you will appreciate the time you will have together much more.
    risas11722

Answer by risas11722 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2009