New York Lawmakers Propose bill to ban online anonymous speech

Little by little, like the frog getting slowly boiled in the pot, lawmakers are stripping the first amendement. All under the guise of "keeping us safe". The internet is a huge threat to those who seek to control people. Note, SOPA, CISPA, ect. They are doing everything they can to try and limit internet freedom.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/us-news-blog/2012/may/23/anonymous-comment-ban-new-york (notice all the deleted comments after the article, lol)

So since some people make mean comments, our speech should be censored? What do you think?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 11:44 AM on May. 24, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree in part, but one could argue that they aren't taking away your right to free speech, they just want you to do it under your name.

I'm fine until I know more about WHY they want to know who is saying what.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:50 AM on May. 24, 2012

• This is what bothers me: If the anonymous commenter chooses not to identify themselves by providing their IP address, legal name and home address within the 48-hour slot, the website must delete the comment.

But this isn't quite so bothersome (sometimes words have the potential to ruin someone): In April, a Texas couple won a $13.8m defamation lawsuit against anonymous commenters who accused the couple of being sexual deviants, molesters and drug dealers on Topix, a local forum website. The offending commenters were discovered when Topix disclosed the commenters information, including IP addresses.

QuinnMae

• It does not surprise me, it will continue as long as we the people are divided by politics and what not.  We are allowing them to take our freedoms away little by little, while we sit here in denial that it will never happen here or it will never happen to us.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 11:52 AM on May. 24, 2012

• As far as an effort to discourage, if not, possibly end, cyber-bullying, it might have some merit. The worrisome thing is, how far could it be taken.....as in general things do seem to get taken to an extreme and people do tend to take offense at just about anything these days. It does make one wonder if they will, at some point, pass a law that says you cannot have a "screen name" that is used in place of your actual name as most, including me, do.

As for adults...if you are not willing to own your comments, (by either your given name or your screen name) why make them in the first place.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:51 PM on May. 24, 2012

• And how exactly do they plan to enforce this law?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:42 PM on May. 24, 2012

• I'm not sure the first amendment protects anonymity.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 2:21 PM on May. 24, 2012

• first amendment protects anonymity.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 1:49 AM on May. 29, 2012

• right to free speech
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 1:37 PM on May. 29, 2012

• There has got to be more done with all the libel and defamation occurring. They aren't trying to take away free speech. You should own up to what you say and I have no problem with that. You have websites now like Topix that are nothing but filth and destroying people's reputations. Anything I say, I have no problems owning up to.
    logicgirl

Answer by logicgirl at 12:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2012