has anyone ever used YOUR BABY CAN READ?

i saw it advertised on tv and wanted to know if it really works

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• It teaches rote memorization. It doesn't teach phonics, letters, how those letters go together,etc. It teaches the word by just recognizing what the word looks like, not what letters make up the word.

When they start preschool or kindergarten, they have to learn letter recognition and phonics...totally different than what they know.

My kids all recognize the phrase "Happy Birthday" but my two year old sure as heck isn't actually reading it. He just recognizes the "picture" of the words. And that's all that program teaches.

If you want your kid to learn that way...you can do it yourself and it will cost you nothing. You can also just play with your kid and label everything...letters, numbers, colors and shapes...and they'll pick it up that way. Read to them every day...they'll pick it up that way.

It's a money making scheme.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:26 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• my niece watches it.. shes 17 months.
    she sits there in the morning when she wakes up for a little bit and it says the word, shows the word and shows the action of the word and she repeats it back...

shes learned a LOT of words on there...

when it shows the word or a picture of it..i.e.:
    it will she the word APPLE and then it will also show a pic of an Apple... without saying the word..

and she will say "apple"

its really crazy. but for her, it seems to be doing something. shes a very smart girl anyway but i think this just stimulates her mind even more.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:19 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I agree with TiccledBlue.
    take the money & buy books & interactive learning toys. then get creative when playing with your kid & read at every chance you get! Point to the words while you read. In life, point out words-cereal boxes, ads, ect....
    Instead of buying YOUR BABY CAN READ, go look into buying some leap frog. ALOT of moms on here have said alot of positive things about it.

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:44 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I don't mean to be mean but...why do you care if you're baby can read or say a few random words? It won't make them any smarter per se. It will only make for parlor tricks. Thats just my feelings. Maybe if its fun for them, then thats a good reason. I read that any tv, even if its the baby can read series or even the baby einstein series isnt good for small small children. Its best to limit it when possible. But, I hope you get the answers you're looking for.
    lauralii99

Answer by lauralii99 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I agree wtih TiccledBlue too. When I first saw the commercials, I was curious so I looked into it. It is just rote memorization. And did you know that several studies have shown that kids who learn to "sight read" before learning phonics usually turn out to be worse readers and do worse in school? Why, when they had such a good heardstart, should they fall behind so badly? Because phonics takes effort and time. Once a child can "read" they don't see any reason to put in the effort to learn to read properly.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• get leapfrog's fridge phonics set instead. it's only about $20, more interactive, and my son knew all his letters and their sounds by two or so from playing with them.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2009