how do i get my 1 year old to stop biting everyone

ssjs_21

Asked by ssjs_21 at 2:26 PM on May. 24, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pop him in the mouth. Biting PISSES me off. I'm not one to hit but I did NOT tolerate biting with my kids. I have 3 and they all tried. After a few pops they learned.
    Anonymous

• I bit back. Not enough to break skin, but enough to get my point across. My SO and I both did this and she NEVER tried it again. I also pinched and hit back to break those habits as well. Again, it was never enough to cause damage, but enough to get my point across.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:41 PM on May. 24, 2012

• I bit my son. He bit me so hard it made,me bleed. I bit him, not as hard, and he never bit again.
    xXMarlyeXx

Answer by xXMarlyeXx at 2:50 PM on May. 24, 2012

• i agree bite them back
    tigger3itch

Answer by tigger3itch at 4:52 PM on May. 24, 2012

• no idea !!!! try to look strait to his eyes very serousely and try to tell him biting is very bad and make moma very upset ....
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 3:44 AM on May. 25, 2012

• Try to anticipate when the biting will occur. Constant supervision for awhile. Then firmly tell him/her "no biting" and remove them from the situation. Stay calm and matter of fact. It's a pain to monitor the baby so closely, but it is temporary and I have seen it work with a few babies. GL!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:09 AM on May. 25, 2012

• How many months is the one-year-old?
    What sorts of situations end up in biting? Is it about frustration or angry reaction? Defensive/preemptive biting with other young children in play/social situations? Is it related to teething (an impulse to bite down)? Or is it for fun/reaction--almost a sort of social overture that baby thinks is hilarious/exciting but nobody else does?
    How have you responded to it up to now?
    Answering the question of what situations tend to result in biting is the most important step. Knowing that the baby bites when stressed (biting siblings or playmates when feeling threatened or overwhelmed), or that the baby thinks it is fun to get a big reaction, helps you to understand AND to anticipate the behavior. Being proactive & gently preventing the biting from happening is ideal. Protect yourself by positioning/shifting to dodge full contact, or place a finger on his forehead to prevent him from moving in.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:51 PM on May. 25, 2012

• When you protect yourself & others from being bitten, you're responding to the behavior in ways that model respect of your own body. And when you prevent/stop violations with compassion & with understanding for the need the biting is meeting (for the baby), you're being consistent by also modeling complete respect of the child's body. "Biting back" models retaliation & disrespect of his body. It's an understandable reaction but it ignores the reasons for the behavior & relies on intimidation & conditioning.
    In terms of how to RESPOND to the behavior (beyond intercepting the baby so the biting doesn't happen), saying "No!" or "That hurts!" isn't very effective for trying to address behaviors that don't hurt HIM. Rather than try to impress that his behavior is wrong or bad so he "should" stop, JOIN him through understanding the valid need or goal behind the behavior & provide an acceptable alternative for meeting that same need.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:59 PM on May. 26, 2012

• This approach can apply whether it's a teething need, whether it's emotional expression (of fear, defensiveness, displeasure, reaction to helplessness), whether it's playfulness or exploring/learning--like cause & effect discovery, or seeking a feeling of personal power that the reactions to biting brings.
    (It's helpful to remember that feelings of helplessness from daily frustrations & experiences can drive "power games." Babies have a healthy instinct to offload distressing feelings such as the ones they accumulate from the many times they experience themselves as powerless. Feelings of helplessness leave children with a real need to feel powerful. They use play to satisfy that need.)

Conveying understanding & providing appropriate alternatives for meeting the same need might look like:
    "Oh, that feels good to you! It feels good to bite hard. Here's what you can bite." (Wet washcloth in the freezer, teether, certain foods)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:11 PM on May. 26, 2012

• Or, "Oh, you think that's funny. Yes, I see! Here's how you can play with mama!" Then give the big, fun (to him) reaction that has been the "payoff" for his biting but make it something that you can tolerate because it hurts no one, yet meets his same need. (Chasing games where you always "lose" work well. You "almost" catch him but his foot slips from your hand, or you stumble & fall, losing your grip on him--so he triumphs & you're frustrated in your attempts. Or show him how every time he pushes his own nose, YOU make a loud, funny sound. Or any other "power game" that delights him & meets his important needs for autonomy & power.) If he thinks it's "funny" to bite, he's LOOKING for playful ways to meet that need for personal power. (The need won't go away on its own through discouraging biting. You want to provide an acceptable outlet for meeting the need so the BITING goes away!)
    Or, recognizing how he's overwhelmed might
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:23 PM on May. 26, 2012