How do I get her to not be afraid of the auto flush toilets?

My 4 year old dd will not sit on the auto flush toilets. If we go out and she has to go she will refuse to until we find manual flushing ones. I don't want her to end up with a bladder infection from holding her pee for so long. She will literally scream if I try and get her to sit on one. I've tried going first so she can see nothing is going to happen, holding her while she goes pee, and nothing works. Any advice would be appreciated.

LolosMom

Asked by LolosMom at 2:28 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• carry sticky notes and put them on the sensor that way it will no go off and once she is don't take it off.......read this in a parent mag. hope this helps
    Joey07

Answer by Joey07 at 2:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Buy a package of post it notes and carry them in your purse. When she has to go pee use a post it to cover the sensor, then don't take it off until she has left the stall. Then take the post it and throw it away. If she is still worried draw a star or something on it, tell her it's a special star that doesn't let the toilet flush until she's ready. Or make up something that you know will work for her.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 2:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• cover the sensor until she's off the potty then remove it and let it flush.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• show her how it works by holding your hand over the sensor and letting it flush. I let my three year olds hold on to me when they are on the toilet so they know they won't fall in.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 9:17 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It makes me laugh- my 6 year old is afraid of nothing- she loves all things creepy but that toilet terrifies her.
    My 4 year old is afraid of lots of things but she'll sit on that potty with no problem.
    my 6 year old will use them if i cover the sensor- i did have to show her how it worked first for her to believe me... lol... good luck.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 12:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Thanks ladies hopefully I can get her to use them.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 1:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My 5 year old is the same way!!! She is terriifed as well and won't go when we are out, what I have done is I help her up and then I stand in front of the sensor and hold her hand, she goes real quick and hops down haha!
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2009