How is this even right?

I work at a hospital in the specialty clinics I have been here for two years and am only part time. Well one of my co-workers has moved to a different department. So that opened up a full time position. I was informed that the job was offered to someone out of another department. Well they turned it down. So I asked if it was coming to me now. My supervisor informed me no I had to put in an application. So I put in my application and come to find out so did the other girl that turned it down the first time. I was told where I have senority I'd be the first one to get the job. I don't understand I have the senority and am the most qualified for it but I didn't get it. How is that even right?

Vivian0331

Asked by Vivian0331 at 4:30 PM on May. 24, 2012 in Money & Work

• Maybe she had golden knee pads if you know what I mean....
    OR it could mean she put in the app first and was hired before you put in an app. Have you asked your sup?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:38 PM on May. 24, 2012

• It's not but that stuff happens all the time. Sadly all I can say is get used to it.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 4:38 PM on May. 24, 2012

• Actually my app was put in the day before hers.
    Vivian0331

Comment by Vivian0331 (original poster) at 4:39 PM on May. 24, 2012

• My DH has gone through something similar more times than I can count. They even created a job for him but got a last minute outside applicant who was more qualified. So that person got it. It sucks and is depressing. And unfortunately there isn't much you can do.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:51 PM on May. 24, 2012

• Maybe they figured they could get her for cheaper. Or she's friends with one of the higher ups. Or they thought she had better qualifications you don't know about...

All you can do is ask the hiring manager why she got the position.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:03 PM on May. 24, 2012

• It's not right and it's not fair.
    Sometimes life is like that.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:47 PM on May. 24, 2012

• I would have a frank discussion with my supervisor to determine why I was overlooked for this promotion. Are they dissatisfied with your work?

I'd be wanting to get to the bottom of it.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 6:09 PM on May. 24, 2012

• I would ask for clarification for human resources why I wasn't considered for the promotion.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:15 PM on May. 24, 2012

• Many times supervisors assume since you are part time that you wouldn't want to go to full time, if needed. Let them know your intentions so they don't assume in the future.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:43 PM on May. 24, 2012

• Go to Human Resources. Is this a public facility, or university-run? If so, there will be a very specific process for promotion and applying for jobs; no one will get something automatically but has to go through the application and vetting process.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:09 PM on May. 28, 2012