What exactly is the purpose of knitting or crocheting diaper covers or soakers? I'm new to cloth diapers and that sort of thing.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just wondered what their purpose is? I mean, do they replace diaper covers like you would buy for prefold diapers or something? Or do they go over the diaper covers, as well? I am considering switching to cloth diapers, and I'm learning to knit (I already crochet), so I was wondering about this earlier when my husband asked me what they were for. I've seen women post about them, I just don't know what they're for. Thank you!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 3:30 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The wool covers replace the traditional covers. You can use them with fitteds, prefolds, or flat folds. Wool absorbs a ton, and from what I understand, is self cleaning. So it stops leaks, and when the wool is wet, you just hang dry, and as the urine drys, the wool cleanses itself. I haven't used wool yet, but would like to. And they're damn cute.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It keeps leaks away! And yes, they are like covers. I'm not sure about the prefold thing, but I'm sure it could work.

I've been CD'ing for a little over 3 months and I just started using fleece longies with my fitteds and must say that his fitted dipe was SOAKED (he's a heavy wetter and had it on MAYBE an hour) but the fleece pants were not!!

I haven't used wool yet so I don't know how that works yet.

PM me if you need any more answers!
    CatherineBird

Answer by CatherineBird at 4:22 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• lol - I used cloth diapers yrs ago, so my opinions on it are probably outdated, but I used cloth diapers, some were pre-folded, some weren't. I preferred the ones that weren't pre-folded. I used plastic diaper covers to stop leaks. It wasn't a problem for me. Sometimes I put another cover on over it, but it was more for looks.

I have friends though who use diapers (their kids are still diaper age), and, unless they're going to be in the car for a long time, stuff like that, they use the wool covers.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:00 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I was thinking about getting wool longies for DD when she kept leaking through her diaper at night (REALLY heavy wetter here). But she stopped nursing 700 times at night, so I ended up not needing it in the long run :~)

But they are soooooo cute! Ive seen some wool longies and shorties, and I think they're absolutely adorable!!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:48 AM on Jan. 29, 2009