My CAT is peeing in my sink! Help? Advice?

I've had my cat Zephyr since he was born, and he is almost 3 this year. He is litter trained and didn't pee in the sink unitl recently. His litter box is upstairs and I feed him down stairs. We've moved 3 times since he was born and has adapted very well. We have lived here for 4 months and just now he started to pee in the sink and it smells!

Can anyone suggest as to how I can get him to stop. And have other catowners dealt with this before? And why? I just don't get it. He's very well mannered and loyal and trained. SO why would he do it? And how can I get him to stop?
thanks Mammas

Adja70

Asked by Adja70 at 3:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Pets

• First, I would be thankful that he was peeing in the sink - easier to clean than the rug. He may be able to smell something in the sink that makes him want to pee there...like cats will pee on plastic bags or rubber backed rugs. Of course now, he can smell the pee. Try pouring a pet deodorizer down the drain so he can't smell it. Make sure he doesn't have a bladder infection or something.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 4:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• true..it is a good thing, but it's not good when i have company over and there's piss reeking from the sink.. he's never peed on anything other than his litter box, and his behavior hasn't changed other than that...
    Adja70

Answer by Adja70 at 4:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Usually, if they change their behavior, it is because something has changed for them. If he is not neutered he may be marking. 3 seems old to start that, but possible. I'd still try the deodorizer. Maybe put a plug in the sink when you're not using it. There may be a smell coming from the drain that he can smell and you can't that makes him want to pee there. My cat will pee in a dirty laundry basket, but never goes anywhere else but her litter box. I keep a lid on and it stops her.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 4:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I would have him checked out by a vet ASAP. A change in urination habits can mean something is medically wrong. I recently had to have a cat put to sleep because he developed a lower urinary tract infection. We didn't catch it in time, and he was in excruciating pain. He was also neutered. The vet said its common in males, and is caused by what they eat. They sell a UTI-preventative formula. Good luck to your kitty.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• If you only have one litter box put another downstairs. I have a cat that will pee in the bathtub every time one of the other cats pees in his favorite litter box. vinegar helps eliminate the smell. It's acid and urine is alkaline so it neutralizes the ph balance.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Very true, see the vet!!!

If you can't get the smell out, try juicing several lemons... or cut 2 or 3 lemons into wedges and put in the garbage disposal if you have one. the acid in the juice usually does the trick when trying to remove foul odors, if that doesn't work, use some drano to clear the pipes of whatever is in there.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:09 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• ATLEAST HE'S NOT GOING ON YOUR BED!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Next time you catch him doing it sprtitz him with a water bottle...he will think about that the next time! or you can train him to go in the tiolet...same thing, just where it is easier to appreciate
    dhoppe

Answer by dhoppe at 12:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• when you see him doing it,spray with a bottle,or Close the door,But mouthwash in the sink,it will make a strong odor to pets or viniger,clean out your pipes,wash your sink.If he doesnt stop go see a vet
    Niddyann1121

Answer by Niddyann1121 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My male cat was peeing in my bathroom sink for about three days and I took him to the vet. The cat has a UTI infection. He was given meds and is all better.
    Theresa87

Answer by Theresa87 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2009