bad parenting??? plz no bashing

two days ago i was taking my baby to the sitters and forgot her formula, i drove home, parked in my drive way, ran inside to get it, it took litteraly 45 sec, i got yelled at by my neighbor for leaving my daughter in the car by herself, the car was locked. do you ever leave your kids in the car for a minute or two, like if they are sleeping and you dont wanna wake them, like to go pay for gas, or to run back in the house for a minute?? do you think its ok to leave a kid in the car if its litterally for a minute or two, or is it completely unexceptable??? please no bashing just your oppinion, nothing personal

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 5:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it is fine. I would just carry an extra key so that I could lock the door. I guess too that would depend on if you live in a busy neighborhood. I live back in the country so it wouldn't be a problem for me, but just remember it only takes a minute for one to be stolen. So please do use caution.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 5:44 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• well of course if the car is locked
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 5:46 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• You are not a bad mother. Not at all. You should never have to worry abotu anyone second guessing what you did. But there are always those who think they know better. For instance, I live in a small city but it has a very high crime/drug rate. Just a little background here, I am white and there is a large black population here. I was out walking my baby in his stroller when he was first born (this was in 2006) and there was always someone who had to tell me to "get that baby inside" or "put a hat on that baby" or someone shouting that I should do this or not do that with him and all of those people were black. But if I were to tell a black person that they are doing something in my opinion wrong with their kids I would be in BIG trouble. (not that your question had mentioned race but I am just telling you a bit about what I went through).

Keep up the good work.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I think you're only human, and I think that most of us have been guilty of something like this at one time or another.

I know I've done this, though I have to admit, I had an incident that made me stop. My kids were early elementary school age (like kindergarten and 1st grade). It was hot, and the car windows were down. I put the car in park, turned it off, grabbed my keys and purse, and was running up to drop a letter in a mailbox (about 10 feet from the car - within sight the whole time). I told the kids to wait right there - Mommy was just going to be a second (it was literally a couple of seconds, and this way there wasn't getting them unbuckled, then re-buckled, etc.

Then I realized - I GRABBED MY PURSE - I thought it was too far to leave my purse alone in the car, because someone could grab it, but I left my kids?! I felt horrible! Until they were old enough to be left alone, I never did it again.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• PLEASE don't think that my post was meant as a judgment of your actions - it is NOT meant that way. I was just sharing with you my experience with doing that, and how I felt like I was a horrible mother.

I think that yes, 99% of us do this, or something similar at one point or another, but then again, I know that sadly, it only takes one time for a tragedy to happen. I think your neighbor was WAY out of line - a better way to handle it was to figure here's a Mom of a little baby, obviously not having a good morning and running late now, so how hard would it be for me to just stand here for a minute and make sure the baby stays ok, and when the Mom comes back out, just say hi, and go about your own business, because we could all use a little hand now and then?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I know someone who left her kid in a car when she ran in to pay for gas...he was sleeping and she didn't want to wake him so she locked the door and went in.

She came back out to find the window smashed in, her kid screaming in his carseat and her purse missing.

Stories are in the news quite often about people who leave their kids in a locked car and come out to find their car stolen and the kid gone too.

Do YOU think it's okay to leave your baby in a locked car while you run into a building?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I did this with my kids (now 8, 15, 16) when they were babies if I could park very close to a window or door where I could watch. If you feel secure in your neighborhood to do this that is your right as a mother.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 7:00 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• To TiccledBlue... I think leaving a child in public alone, and being at your own home are a BIG Diffrence.

With that said. I dont think your a bad parent.... You were at your own home, and your child was straped safely in their seat. Have I ever done it... Nope... Just cant do it.. It freaks me out too much.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Cars are still stolen from drive ways....they're still broken into in driveways....

It is her choice to leave her baby in a locked car while she goes into a building (house or store). It takes less than 30 seconds for something to happen. That's all I'm pointing out.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:06 AM on Jan. 29, 2009