Do you use?

I recently opened a small business. I want to do my own books. (I don't want to pay a bookkeeper...) Are you an entrepreneur? Do you use QuickBooks? If so, why? If not, what do you use and why?

EDIT:  I guess I should tell y'all what I do...  My store sells (basically) lawn mower parts.  I am the only "employee."  My business is an off-shoot of my parents', and their bookkeeper SUCKS.  (I don't generally use that word, but they are ending up paying too many fines because she's inconsistent and inaccessible.)  I can't really afford a bookkepper, anyway.  Before I opened my store I did my own income taxes, so I'm not terribly concerned.  My biggest tax is sales tax.  I don't have to worry about employee tax yet.  

mrsjon

Asked by mrsjon at 10:45 AM on May. 25, 2012 in Money & Work

• My husband sells on eBay and I do all the bookkeeping. I only use spreadsheets because none of the programs I have seen handle the inventory like I want them to. I know that the accounting programs allow you to customize reports, however, there are a lot of things I don't need in those programs. I have my spreadsheets set up so that all the items that apply to him on taxes are easily found. I could probably save alot of time with a program that is suited to my needs, but I would have to create one (actually something I've discussed with a techie friend). The available programs also do not handle the mileage the way I need it to as far as I know. Alot will depend on how "standard" the accounting is for your business. Note that I have not actually used QuickBooks but basing based on other things I have looked at and used.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:02 AM on May. 25, 2012

• We own our own business, a semi-truck. We have an accountant that takes care of our taxes. We don't want to risk anything when it comes to taxes. Hubby uses Truckers Helper software. It keeps track of all of the spending,etc. We don't use quickbooks, it's not set up for what he does.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:04 AM on May. 25, 2012

• Peachtree is WAY better than quickbooks.

I do freelance bookkeeping; feel free to ask me questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:06 PM on May. 25, 2012

• Quickbooks is an excellent program - very intuitive. I manage a business and the majority of my day is spent working with that program. PM me if you have any questions.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:44 PM on May. 25, 2012

• Quickbooks biggest issue is that it is WAY to easy to screw up prior periods. Also, the reporting really sucks. Peachtree has a slightly bigger learning curve, but it is "true" accounting.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:08 PM on May. 25, 2012