So - organ donations -

I just saw something on the news about a Dr that is proposing that there be a change to the organ donation system in the US - that there be 2 lists, one for people who are willing to donate their own organs, and one for people who aren't. (I'm assuming that children who aren't old enough to donate, their parents would have to agree, or that they would have to agree to be donors, I don't know, they didn't say.)

People who weren't willing to be organ donors would only be able to get an organ if there wasn't anyone on the 1st list who was a match and could use the organ.

The reason the Dr gave was that something like 2 thousand people a day die waiting for an organ, however we bury / cremate on average something like 20 thousand organs that are suitable for donations every day. He thinks more people will get organs, and why should you get one if you aren't willing to donate yourself?

Thoughts?

sailorwifenmom

Asked by sailorwifenmom at 7:37 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is a GREAT idea!  Of course, I am an organ donor--as well as everyone I know.  And I would make the decision for my minor children if need be.

That said, here's a link on the Top 10 Myths surrounding organ donation.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organ-donation/FL00077

Here's more detail on not doing so for religious reasons...(I think all are NOW on board with the idea)  http://www.transplantforlife.org/miracles/religion.html

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:19 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Since I asked the question, and asked for opinions, I'll share mine -

I have a cousin who had a liver transplant. I had a friend that had a heart and lung transplant. I'm an organ donor.

I have no problem with saying, hey, you want to benefit from this program, and allow someone else's death to give you the gift of life, then you should be willing to allow someone else to have the same blessing if you were to die.

Obviously, not all people who need organs are going to have organs that are healthy enough to be used in a donation, but the point wouldn't be if their organs could be used - but would they be willing to let them use them if they can.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i agree. i'm an organ donor. i've heard people say they won't put themselves as an organ donor because they fear if they are in a life and death situation that "greedy doctors" will let them die just to get their organs. i think this is a cop out way to think.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 7:48 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I think it's a great idea!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:49 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• What about people who need organs who aren't suitable donors?-Just asking
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• From what the guy was saying, if you weren't suitable for donating wouldn't matter - you were willing to donate, and that would be good enough. Then, that way, if you were to die, they could then determine it wasn't healthy enough to use.

Or, I would imagine (this is just speculation, because they didn't get this into it), there could be a sub category / sticker for your ID, similar to the Organ Donor one, that says you are exempt (like if you had hepatitis or something that disqualified you to be a donor.)

He did say that people would not be penalized for their organs being too unhealthy for donation though. It was all about willingness.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• But, since the list wouldn't be one that everyone was put on when they decided to donate or not, it would be made when you were needing to be put on the recipient list, so I guess the sticker would be pretty redundant, because usually people are on the list for quite awhile, so your Drs would know you weren't suitable, but were willing, or not.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:06 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I'm an organ donor
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 8:10 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• TOTALLY OK with this.

I have always been an organ donor and can't imagine refusing.

After I'm gone, harvest away - I hope I can help someone. If it's something you can take out of me and have us both stick around afterwards, I'm all for that as well.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 8:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• What about religious reasons?

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure some religions would keep you from being a donor. Maybe. I'm not sure, I just think I heard that once.

Otherwise, I think it sounds like a stand up plan. Don't think it will happen, but I like it nonetheless.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:13 AM on Jan. 29, 2009