Waking up for 2 bottles through the night...is it really needed??

My son's going on 8 months old, he's up at 12am and 4:30am to eat..it's rare that he skips one of these feedings. I'm losing so much sleep due to him wanting to play after the 4:30am feeding..so he's really not back to sleep until 5:30am..he sleeps until around 6:45am. Then he's up until 9:30am or 10am. He naps for about 1 hr. So I can't really go back to sleep at all, I'd get nothing done and I need more then a half ass hour ahaha. Please, any advice as to why he's waking STILL at his age to eat, and YES I'm giving him solids for dinner at 5:30pm before he's in bed by 6:30pm and he get's solid's with a 5 oz bottle..that's all he'll eat, so he's full. I run a noise maker, and he has a great crib..I follow all the suggestions made to me in the past, nothing works. I'm DESPERATE to have a full night's sleep again!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could try some finger or table foods at his age. That might help...might not, but won't hurt! There may not be a solution...some babies just aren't through the night sleepers.....

My boys were huge eaters too....they had three meals a day (equivalent of two stage 2 jars worth of table food) plus 8oz of formula, two snacks of finger foods and juice/water mix and 8oz of formula before bed. They went to bed about 8pm and were up about 6 or 7am...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• sorry but all three of my kids have woken up during the night from birth until 3. GL
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:43 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• eeeeeeek lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• If he's taking a full feeding, yes he needs it. You can try maybe adding another feeding during the day to get more calories in him, but that doesn't always work....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:52 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• He won't take more, he's so set in his way's..he NEVER wants more then 5 oz's every 3 hrs. Starting basically at 12am until he goes to bed at 6:30pm 7 at the latest. He's a big eater, so at lunch I give him 2-3 table spoons of jar food, and always a bottle with it, 5 oz's I give him the bottle first too. Then he gets about 1 table spoon of desert. I think I'll just have to suck it up! I don't see there being a solution for it, the more I read other peoples responses to the same question.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• ya, I'm about to start the stage 3 food's, only have a few jar's of the stage 1 left. I think if he's eating heavier food's he might sleep through the night. I hesitated to start the stage 3 because he was chocking and gagging on anything other then mush!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• If he is waking and taking a full bottle at night then you are simply going to have to keep doing it - sorry. He may be so wide awake at 4:30 because he is up for the day. Not all children sleep 12 hours a night. You might try putting him to bed a little later and that early morning feeding may become breakfast. Hang in there!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• When you feed him at 430 are you keeping it dark or are you taking him with you to the kitchen to get the bottle ready? I would wake up a few minutes before you know he is going to wake up, get the bottle than stay in the dark room, don't talk to him, don't make eye contact with him. As soon as he is finished put him back in bed and go back yourself. If he starts crying let him be a few minutes. Screaming- obviously get him, but maybe he just needs to know it's not playtime. Also what time are you putting him to bed? Maybe push it a bit later. Good luck
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 10:36 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• if he's waking up at the same times apx. it's out of habit not hunger. Some parents let their child cry until they fall back to sleep, but if you're like me you might want to try just going in and soothing him, but not offering a feeding.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I agree with julipickle...noone, not even babies wake at the exact same time every day to do anything, unless your alarm clock tells you to....so it has to be a habit and you may want to begin to try other things to break it...like lessening the amount of milk at each middle of the night feed until there is basically none, maybe like an ounce at a time, or replacing it with a paci or something like that....but yep, its a habit, he really isn't hungry...you could even try water and see how that goes....
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 10:48 AM on Jan. 29, 2009