School Nurse denies Child his Inhaler

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47526391/ns/local_news-orlando_fl/t/school-nurse-denies-teen-inhaler-mother-says/

This just ticked me off. What do you think??

tracy0812

Asked by tracy0812 at 2:17 PM on May. 25, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I have several thoughts. If that nurse didn't ccall 911 I would be doing anything in my power to have her fired. Secondly..Mom is partly to bame. At our school you may not have ANY medicine on your person. If you need to have access at school you get a paper from the Dr stating perscription and dosage. A separate inhaler ion this case would be perscribed to be left at school and administered by the nurse. It is a fail-fail situation that was totally preventable.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:27 PM on May. 25, 2012

• Makes me want to strangle that nurse and let her beg for air...
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:29 PM on May. 25, 2012

• We all have to follow the rules set by the school (some are ridiculous and completely void of any common sense).

There is no excuse for refusing to call 911 when a student is in clear distress.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:31 PM on May. 25, 2012

• I would be beyond pissed. Coming from someone who has athsma...I can totally relate
    it is a freaking inhaler and for them to just not DO something to help him? NOT OK
    wow...

When I was in grade school-I had a PE teacher who would call my mother and tell her how I was faking having attacks when he'd make us run and whatnot. I remember one time it was really bad and I was in pain, and freaked out because I could
    NOT breath and he kept telling me to stop pretending...UGH
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:32 PM on May. 25, 2012

• The link to the article did not work but that sounds ludacris. The laws are different everywhere, but here if a child has a medication.. All the parent has to do is bring a signed form from the doctor instructing when it is needed and the dosage. It is kept in the nurse's station and administered by the nurse per the instructions from the doctor. I'm assuming it was a rescue inhaler. An asthma attack is an emergency. The longer treatment is denied, the greater the danger. If there was no doctors authorization, she should have at least called the child's doctor and mother to fax a release to the school. If she was unwilling to do that then she should have called 911 if the child was having an attack.. There needs to be an emergency protocol for instances like this. A child's airway isn't gonna stay open waiting for 20 phone calls and faxes. Be sure school always has up to date list of meds, forms and signatures .
    LBoogie0617

Answer by LBoogie0617 at 2:40 PM on May. 25, 2012

• Does no one else think it's just downright stupid that a teenager with asthma can't carry their own inhaler at school anymore? They can carry it everywhere else. Zero tolerance policies put some children's health at risk.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:44 PM on May. 25, 2012

• If that 'nurse' actually is an RN, she should lose her license permanently. If that 'nurse' is just assigned to work in the nurses office and has no actual medical training, she should go to jail.

If it had been my son, someone from the school would have had to call 911 for the nurse and the cops on me ~ and my child would not be going back unless/until I had a statement written in blood and a lot of other proof that idiots were not ever again going to be the ones making life and death decisions for my child.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:55 PM on May. 25, 2012

• And I also feel older children who know how to properly use their inhalers be allowed to keep them on their person. Then they won't have to wait 15 minutes to walk to nurse's station. Most kids are capable of knowing when they need their inhaler. If they have to use it, they can walk to the nurse's station to be observed for a while to be sure the meds are working. I was allowed to carry my inhaler at school. It never caused trouble and I was able to access it before the attack had gotten out of control. They have set so many rules these days to make everything safe, but I think it's been taken a little too far. Rescue meds should be immediately accessible to a child who is proficient in it's use. And if a parent has a child with a medical condition they are responsible for telling the school about it and have all forms needed for school policies and state laws in regard to medicines. No child should be refused treatment.
    LBoogie0617

Answer by LBoogie0617 at 2:56 PM on May. 25, 2012

• I didn't read the article cause I can't do links at work.

My son has been out of school for a few years, 6 I think, but by the time he got to HS, he DID carry his inhaler on his person. A right he had because we had all the proper paperwork on file with the school and local hospital. The key was making sure (as in pro-active parent) to know what rights he had and how to make sure he got them. (for him asthma was a life or death situation). When you have a child with special needs, metal, physical, social, etc. it is your job to be on top of what your child needs and to make sure they get it, not waiting for something to happen then cry "not fair"

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 3:09 PM on May. 25, 2012

• Why was his backpack searched? If it was taken from him on Friday, why didn't the mom know about it on Friday. The school should have called her saying they had taken it.

That aside, that "nurse" didn't do her job at all. A real nurse would have been fighting for the kid regardless of anything else, least of all what time her shift ended.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 3:09 PM on May. 25, 2012