Legalize pot? Yes or No?

Article Title: Economists say U.S. would save billions if pot was legal 

Article:  â€‹Where there's pot, there's gold. So conclude more than 300 economists who say that the government -- if it got out of the business of enforcing marijuana laws -- could save a whopping $7.7 billion annually. Harvard economist Jeffrey Miron also figures there's another $6 billion to be mined each year by taxing the drug at rates similar to booze and tobacco. The economists, who have signed a petition, don't exactly go as far as Miron in suggesting pot be legalized but maintain that it's high time, so to speak, for an "open and honest debate."

http://now.msn.com/money/0417-billions-saved-by-legalizing-weed.aspx

What do you think?  I have mixed feelings about this.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 5:14 PM on May. 25, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• How many billions of dollars have we wasted trying to enforce marijuana laws? If people really want to smoke it, they will find a way; let's at least get some tax money out of it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:16 PM on May. 25, 2012

• I think we should. I don't get why people think there are going to be a bunch of potheads walking around, alcohol is legal and not everyone is drunk all the time. Plus you can't OD on it, put restrictions on it just like alcohol and there ya go.
    Conmom456

Answer by Conmom456 at 7:59 PM on May. 25, 2012

• I say yes.

Alcohol is legal and I think it's way more dangerous than weed. If they were to legalize weed they could regulate, or TRY to regulate it the way they do alcohol.

Weed is prescribed as medicine, too. Have you ever heard of a [REAL] doctor say "Oh take a shot of jack as needed and come back in a week."

As far as I know, you can't overdose on weed. But too much alcohol is extremely harmful.

And since we're talking about alcohol, remember prohibition?? Lol it's only a matter of time.
    xXMarlyeXx

Answer by xXMarlyeXx at 6:02 AM on May. 26, 2012

• yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:16 PM on May. 25, 2012

• If they legalize pot my house will never be clean again.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 5:18 PM on May. 25, 2012

• At LEASE for medical purposes. I could care less if they legalize if for recreation but it pisses me off that they are not utilizing it's benefits in medicine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:20 PM on May. 25, 2012

• I know lots of people who smoke pot who are not lazy or a drain on society. Just because someone uses pot doesn't mean they are pothead. Just like with alcohol....you can drink sometimes and not be an alcoholic.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:08 PM on May. 26, 2012

• I don't know about legalizing it completely, but I do think it should be decriminalized so that we aren't incarcerating those that are using it and not selling it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:22 PM on May. 25, 2012

• yes, at least for medical reasons. legalize it and tax the hell out of it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:36 PM on May. 25, 2012

• I'm with kylie_bob, AF4life, and pucki. No! I've never met a pot smoker who wasn't a lazy jackass.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 9:50 PM on May. 25, 2012