SO's family

Last night I posted a message about my bf's family being judgemental about me being a single mom. This is more of a vent and less of a question, however my boyfriend just came home and told me his family is entitled to thier opinion (even though we've never met) and that I was taking what they were saying to heart. He also said I want people to pitty me because I'm a single mom! I really feel like punching him I mean befor he met me he didn't even wash his clothes due to laziness and I changed him (to his own admitting) into a respsonible adult. I am so frustrated being told Im overreacting and taking everything to heart. Should I not be offended?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• don't make him decide between the two of you you might not like the result, maybe you should just tell him his family's remarks are hurting you and maybe he can nip it in the butt a little. if they aren't saying it to hurt you and just don't know how to keep thier mouths shut then they may stop
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 2:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• yes i would be offended. i really dont think my SO's sister likes me cuz of sum of the shit she has done excuse my lingo but they both claim she didnt kno which is bs but he says it doesnt matter if they like me or not cuz he loves me but i still would like them to like me. i was pissed cuz i kno its his sister but dont be in denial about it. she was wrong.
    JuJu_Bean

Answer by JuJu_Bean at 9:10 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• His family, unfortunetly is entitled to their opinions, but bf should step up and tell them he doesn't want to hear about it. For them to try to talk down to him about you is wrong. and you need to talk to him about stepping up and saying something. Or find out why he hasnt.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Of course they are entitled to their own opinion but doesn't that entitle you to take offense at people criticizing your parenting skills when they haven't even met you? As for him saying you want pity, he's not coming forward trying to make anything better so he can't say anything! I answered before and I repeat myself when I say all you can do is show them that you are a great mother and know they are wrong when they tell you different.
    Anonymous

• Im sorry that you are going through a tough time right now with your SO parents. Just remember, even though you are being judged, dont take it heart. Yes, everyone has the right to state their opinions but you have to learn to not let it get to you. Obviously they are making negative statements, I guess to see how you react to them. Just smile away and say well Thank you! I appreciate your opinion. DO NOT GET UPSET. I dont understand how now your SO is making the negative remarks as well. I dont get that at all?

leighannarobey

Answer by leighannarobey at 1:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• You have every right to be offended, he should stand up for you. Who told you they feel this way, your boyfriend??? Sounds like he was just being mean. I mean, if he didn't want you to respond or be hurt, then he should have kept his mouth shut.
    Anonymous