About to be a single mom. Any advice?

Long story short...I have a 6 month old son and I've decided that I need to move us out and leave my SO. He wasn't all that much help anyway, but I'm sure things will be different. Any advice on doing things on your own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• when mine left the only problem i had was like packing the diaper bag alone bc i didn't have anyone else to run and go get the stuff for me. Other than that he was no help anyway
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 8:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I recommend this book. It was helpful to me when I was a single mom.
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Complete-Single-Mother/Andrea-Engber/e/9781593374907/?itm=8

runawaybunny

Answer by runawaybunny at 9:01 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• make sure you have a decent enough job to support the two of you. dependable transportation. a bank account would be nice. you might not want to but you mite ahve to stay with sum family before you find a place if you havent already. make sure you have all of your son's paper work. and file for child support. jus because your leaving doesnt mean he off scott free. gud luck
    JuJu_Bean

Answer by JuJu_Bean at 9:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I would just say that after you leave, let it be just you and your baby for a while. Get on your feet, get that confidence up...once you are secure that you can do it on your own and that your life is stable, you're going to want someone that is better than what you just put up with with your SO. I was a single mom after the birth of my daughter for a while and I actually really enjoyed not having to share her with anyone.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Always put you rchild first, and do not let them see you upset and DO NOT bring other men aropund until you are sure that they are a keeper!
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• well, first talk to your ex. and try to work out visitation and child support, if he's unwilling to compromise it may have to go to court, but if you can try to keep it out of court, makes things nicer for the kid in the long run. Secondly, not much else changes, except maybe your financial situation, and dating. I'm a single mom, but have only been one for 5 months, so I'm still learning about what it's like. lol. but if you want pm me.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Please! Before you make this decision, I strongly advise you to read "Men are from Mars & Women are from Venus!
    leighannarobey

Answer by leighannarobey at 1:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Pray!
    Anonymous

• If he's not doing much now, it probably won't be much different. Find ways to get things done with the little one in tow. If you need to shower before you go somewhere and hes not alseep then get him in there with you (now you both are clean) and get yourself ready first, then him so he doesn't get messy while you are getting ready. If hes eating table food, then fix supper for you and give him the same (just cut up, etc) if hes still on baby food, then one scoop for him, one scoop for you (but of your food..lol). If you have a car, then always keep an extra packed diaper bag in the trunk along with an umbrella stroller (for emergencies like the car breaking down and you guys have to walk or something). You can do this! Lots of moms all over the world can handle it, and so can you. Its just about finding your routine.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2009