"Your baby can read" do you think it works?

I've seen this add on tv called "your baby can read"
for those who dodn't know what im talking about www.yourbabycanread.tv
do you think it works as they say it does?

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think its a joke
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:09 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• No I don't think it works. If you ever took an intro to psychology class you might remember a scientist by the name of Pavlov. He used a process called "Conditioning" to make a dog salivate at the sound of a bell. The "Your Baby Can Read" is an expense scam that uses Classical Conditioning to make babies respond to words so that parents believe that the baby can read. There is NO evidence that these babies actually read sooner or have any intellectual advantage. The best thing you can do for your baby's literary skills is to read to them everyday and create an early love of books. At this age it should all be fun, not boot camp.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:15 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I think it is WAY too expensive you can do the same thing your self!
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 9:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• You can do the same thing yourself for free. But you can teach them to read correctly instead of just by rote memorization.

It's a marketing ploy.

They need to be able to sound out their words and actually read words, not just have it memorized what a word looks like. They cannot memorize the look of every single word in the English language.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:35 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I also feel it is just plan easier to read to your child then to pay for a program. It is best for everyone! It provides safety and security for the baby. They enjoy listening to their caregivers voice. The feel safe in mom or dad's arms. It is also the best way to spend time with your child.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Why would anyone want to teach their baby to read?? Talk to your baby, sing with your baby, build with blocks, read to her, dig in the sandbox. THOSE are the things that are developmentally appropriate and build her brain cells. If you want your baby to do well at reading when she gets bigger, read to her, read to her and read to her, every day.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I taught my two youngest to sign using a similar method, it does not seem to be that far of stretch to think that children can learn to read in this way. I wish this had been around when I was teaching my oldest to read. I taught her to read well before starting kindergarten, phonetically and she has a difficult time understanding what she reads (as do many children.) It is almost like she spending too much time on the individual letters (their sounds) instead of what the words mean.

Children learn well through play, there is nothing to say you just sit your child in front of the TV and just expect them to grasp the concepts given, they must be played with parents/caregivers. You would do this in the same way you teach your child colors, shapes and counting.
    Joy282

Answer by Joy282 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2009