Did anyone feel down after they stopped breastfeeding?

amyl3613

Asked by amyl3613 at 9:15 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YES. I felt awful when I stopped. I felt guilty for stopping early, but it really was for the best for us and my babies are happy and healthy.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 9:19 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Yes, my daughter actually weened herself at 13 months, and I did feel very sad. I loved that closeness and the thought that she needed me for most of her nutrition. She still needs me though, and now that she's 18 months, we're still very close and she is so affectionate. I'm going to have more children, though, and so that makes me feel a little better. I think the feeling of sadness will ease as you realize that it's easier to leave your little one with a babysitter so you can go out with your SO or friends.
    divakristi

Answer by divakristi at 9:25 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Yes. Guilt, sadness, missing the closeness. It was a moving apart that started the process of growing up and away that children do as human beings, and which is healthy for them. But it doesn't mean that the mom doesn't feel a pang.

Answer by Bmat at 9:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Yes and because of the guilt and the knowledge that my decision was not better for baby but for me I relactated. I was able to provide fully for baby until he self weaned. Now I have no guilt knowing that my son was given the best start to life possible. If you want to make it work you can. A harder life for me for 2 yrs as compared to a harder life for him for his entire life or even those 2 years is not even a question. I am an adult and can realize that I can make it through, there is an end.  A child can't realize that and there may be no end to whatever problem due to my decision.  It is tough but know that you can accomplish anything, look in baby's eyes and you will find the strength to persevere.  Good Luck!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• With my older kids, who I failed to nurse as long as I should have, I felt like crap once I was done. Like I had done them a HUGE disservice and I had. My youngest is 23 months and still nursing so I have no idea how i'll feel when he's done. He is still nursing a lot so I don't think he'll be done anytime soon.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Nope, I loved that I could finally take a bath with out being interrupted. I would have gone longer if DS would have taken a bottle once in a while, but I was the ONLY one who could feed him so it is nice to have some ME TIME! I felt bad when we stopped with DD, but that's because I went dry and though i did something wrong to where I did dry up.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• No.

Okay maybe a little. But, I knew that I was doing the right thing for both of us. (Seeing as how at the time, I'd completely stopped producing milk.) It was sad to finally have to give up on something I'd worked really hard to do, but it was much more important to have a happy healthy baby, and mommy than an unhappy or unhealthy either of us.
    SarahMelvin86

Answer by SarahMelvin86 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I did for a few days, but after my engorgement went away, it didn't phase me anymore. I was extremely depressed and nearly suicidal while breastfeeding, so it actually felt pretty good and relieving to stop. I also had thoughts of hurting my daughter because breastfeeding frustrated me SO much. I'm glad I stopped, for both our sakes. We couldn't be happier now.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Every time you breastfeed your body releases oxytocin. It makes you feel good, happy and relaxed. When you stop BFding you are not longer getting that chemical "boost" throughout the day.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Oh my god YES~ I had to stop breastfeeding my DD when she was six months! Reason being Is my doctor prescribed me a medication for ADD, which would be extremely bad for my DD to intake the medication. I feel into a bad depression, I felt like my world came crashing down. I didnt have the connection with my DD like I used to. OH it was bad. But eventually the depression passed after maybe a month in a half.
    leighannarobey

Answer by leighannarobey at 12:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2009