Is this really what was said?

I don't get to watch much tv, but i just overheard people in the office talking about something obama said yesterday. They said he made a comment about schools being out in washington d.c. yesterday due to bad weather. He said he was from chicago, and they have bad weather there too, and they didn't get out of school for it. He said we will have to do something about other places letting out for that. If he reallly said that i thought that was pretty crappy seeing as how the schools are just looking out for the safety of the kids. The snow, ice, and freexing rain make for hazardous conditions. And down here in texas where it wasn't as bad, i know some of the schools started late. Did he really say that, and do you agree with, him on not wanting school closings for weather like yesterday. Granted i am not for sure exactly what the weather was like in washington d.c. yesterday. But i imagine not too good.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think he said that because back in Chicago they went to school with a lot more snow on the ground.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• He was joking I live in charlotte nc and they closed school and there was enough snow to cover the grass. I am origanlly from St . Louis and when it snows we are used to digging our way out i have said the same thing about school here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I am NOT an obama fan and I did see and hear what he said ....he was kidding around about how in DC the kids were out of school do to ice...and he said his girls were laughing because not only (in Chicago) did the kids have school but they would have had recess as well. He went on to say (in what I took as a joke) something about how they were going to have to change that up a bit and bring some of the chicago toughness to DC. (not in the wise guy way) So relax it was (TO ME anyway) nothing more than him noticing a change in how things are done from one state to another.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 9:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• He was joking. Plus living in VA for many years, they (DC) don't have the same resources to prepare for inclement weather as they do in Chicago, Il.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Yes he did say it. What amazed me is that he traveled the country for 2 years campaigning and didn't know this???? He did kind of snicker when he made the comment but you know sometimes the biggest deal gets made out of something said in jest. He may just make it mandatory where school never closes due to weather, which in turn will keep the road departments working more overtime hours.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I didnt hear it so I dont know if he was joking. I am from southern ca and live in NC now. We get snow days sometimes when they are just calling for snow and we dont even get any. Those days I do wonder but I understand some areas like dirt roads etc do have a harder time and busses cannot pass. Itll come down to what it always has the parents being responsible enough to know not to send their child to school if Obama does away with snow days. No big deal. I do think he should do something about other things other then snow days, like child support, increasing mens responsibility to spend time with their kids, crime rates, drop out rates and limit time on welfare and increase education for those who need it. Leave the snow days to the parents.

Answer by gemgem at 10:05 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Anon 9:38 ..............really?

Anyway, he was joking. He was talking about the difference between living in Chicago vs Washington. If you have ever lived in two different climates then you have probably done the same thing. He was just saying that it takes a lot more to cancel school in Chicago where they are used to snow and Ice. They don't get as much in DC and cancel schools under lighter conditions. He was not serious.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:10 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i live in ohio and i see that online all the time, we had a snow day because we had 10 inches fall!!! today we have school but it took the busses an hour to get here!! everywhere is different.. my friend moved to sc and he said they canceled school if it snowed one inch, they didnt have salt for the roads and people would be wrecking their cars in the one inch of snow... it is all realtive is the point... we need to get rid of the annon. option to shut up those idiots!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:13 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• For God's sake....he was JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Untie your panties, geez!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Yes he said it. He was boasting about how Chicagoins handle the weather, much like I did when I moved from Michigan to North Carolina. Whimps is what I said when I moved to NC and there was a "dusting" of snow and the whole town shut down. In Michigan we went to work/school in 32 inches of snow.....! But after being there in NC for many years (no longer there thank God!!), I realized that every region is different. Like they (folks in NC) made snow cream from snow. I never heard of that before! It's because they don't get that much and when they do it's a huge event, nor are they equipped to handle snow falls like in Michigan. I learned that it doesn't make me any tougher, nor them weaker, just different! NObama is a unity kinda guy, tolerance, he should be more tolerant of folks in different regions and how they handle their weather events. I agree OP, it was to keep the kids safe!! NObama, eat the yellow snow!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2009