Monster-in-Law

The movie did my monster no justice! She's terrible. All she does is ridicule my style for the babies room & crib set, talk down about my age, and continue to tell me how perfect her little boy is. Alright seriously... shut the *F* up lady! Does anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with her, without your hubby flipping out for talking bad about his mommy.

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 9:32 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• Try to cut off all complaints with a compliment. It is hard to put a person down when they are giving you a compliment. It might work and might even improve your relationship with her. Also, remember she is a mom too.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I had to live with my mother in law for 6 years! Count it 6 years!
    courtneyleigh16

Answer by courtneyleigh16 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Tell her that you think it's offensive and your sick of it, and to please...keep her comments to herself if she has nothing nice to say! You can word it so that she doesn't feel too offended. I wouldn't put up with it at all. And your Hubby should be on your side, if he can't see that his mom's being rude, well then that's a whole other issue!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Well I have been married for over 11 years now and when we first got together my MIL said that I would be a horrible mother and I was destroying her son. We have had our ups and downs and now I just ignore her. I told my husband that I am not going out of my way to be nice, and I have learned to complain to other people.

The other thing I think you need to do is talk to you SO. Let them know how you feel and how she is making you feel. I know that my DH and I have had many conversations over this subject and I think as long as you get things out in the open it might get better.

If you want to send me a PM I can go into more detail on what I have done to handle things. Good Luck and remember don't let her get to you.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Mine isn't that bad..she just blows off everuthing i say, and does it her own way and trys to look like she does it correctly and i'm a dumbass...Problem is, i have a 9yo that i raised alone and she turned out excellent, so i know within myself that i am an awesome mom..So basically, nobody can steal my joy away, but i would not tolerate someone talking down on my choice of crib deco..i would seriously put her in her place, regardless of the consequences.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I thought about posting something similar to this. My monster in law lives next door to me. Great woman... until i had my daughter. She thinks shes the mother. Telling me what to put on her to what not.
    Im not the type to speak up but since i have had my daughter things are different.
    My husband feels the same way. All i can tell you is... its your child step up. If it makes the hubby mad.. then so be it. Dont stop what you believe in just to make people happy you are only hurting yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Easy...my hubby thinks she's nuts too, so we talk together. Never anything too horrible though.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Kill her with kindness! Every time she start ridiculing you say something really nice. And your husband really should talk to her about it, that when shes insulting you shes disrespecting him and the choice he made to spend the rest of his life with you. I got lucky with my mil shes great but my fil is another story. Now when he starts spoutin stupid advice and basically criticizing me I just smile and nod...and laugh about it with my SO later!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Not all children are the same. It is the parent who raise their children the way what. So we think are children are the perfect but no one is perfect.
    cheerful1108

Answer by cheerful1108 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It's unfortunate that you have such a nasty monster-in-law. Some of us get lucky and others don't. I think that you should talk to your DH and let him handle her. Demand that she show you the respect that she would show a complete stranger, sometimes that is the best we can ask for. Don't involve her in your life if you don't feel comfortable around her. You don't HAVE to let her see your children, that is a privelege that she must earn to keep. You raise your children the way that you see fit, you are their mother after all, not her. Tell her, thanks for the advice, but we're gonna do it this way!
    Anonymous