How do you define poor???

I have seen this many times over the last few days. "the poor" Just what do you consider "the poor"?????

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 9:33 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Poor is not having enough money to live within your means and being unable to pay your bills, buy you kids clothes, your own clothes, pay for heat, food, cable, phone and things most people might take for granted. It isnt able to afford daycare so you can work. It is being a single mom and not getting any child support and just hoping youget enough hours to pay the rent and put food on the table. Its being uneducated in many cases and thinking working hard will get you anywhere when working smart is how people get ahead. Its hocking your computer so you can buy groceries or pay the electric bill. That is what poor is.

Answer by gemgem at 10:01 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• People who live without the bare necessity's needed..such as food, clothes, housing...they go with out for periods of time, so they don't live comfortable at all.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Cant make ends meet, living paycheck to paycheck, no savings, no items of any value.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• yep, agree with pps
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 9:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I think being poor is a state of mind. But most people here in America view it as making less than a certain amount of money. I don't make much money at all, i may even be considered poor by some. But i have a job, a car, a house, my bills are all paid up & i have yummy food in my cupboard & refiridgerator. I may not have a $50,000. car, or a huge home. But i am loved, i have a healthy beautiful family, & i am making it in this world w/ even a lil extra money to take a vacation from time to time. Come to think of it, i may be poor to some of my fellow Americans, but most likely I'm richer than a good chunk of the rest of the world. So, w/ all that being said, I feel like I'm extremely rich.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:44 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Yeah, i guess living from paycheck to paycheck can be considered poor. But even that may be a lot of money to someone else.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I think it is a relative term, "poor". If you use the guidelines of the stimulus package/politicians/govt officials then low income [poor]  are those who do not pay taxes and are in need government of assistance.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Poor , in my eyes, would be someone who has no home or food. Not having cable does not constitute poor
    TinasTribe

Answer by TinasTribe at 9:59 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• We are poor. We live paycheck to paycheck barely. My dh can't take days off or we won't make it. There is no extras. Every penny is assigned a bill. We have no health insurance bc we can't afford it. We do have debt-but we longer use any credit cards we make payments on ALL our debt every month. Except my husband's student loans are in deferment (thank god).

Our credit score is actually improving.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Our utilities are one month behind and we pay the minimum right now to keep them on bc his hours we cut over christmas and its catching up with us.

I think that poor is a way of life that we get used to. When I start working, we want to pay off our debt and live off the money that we make with no debt at all.

I am sick of credit cards.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2009