Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help me with Child Support

I'm trying to get child support for my almost four year old daughter, but the child support office isn't being much help without the father's social, which I do not have. I have his last known address, his parents still live there, and I guess they have sent him a letter but if he doesn't respond there's not much they can do. Is there any other way to do this? I can't hire a private service, there's no money for that.

Answer Question

Asked by KimSanAntonio at 9:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 2 (12 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Are you American?

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

  • I'm in the same boat you are!! pm me and i'll tell you what I did to get some things started.. :)

    Answer by honeys_sugamama at 9:36 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

  • Take him to court and make him answer in front of a judge.

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:37 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

  • Don't his parents know his Social?

    Answer by Wimsey at 9:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

  • Well in order to take him to court, he'd have to be served paper's, and if she can't find him..then how do they do that??

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

  • Yes, Anon, I am American. Wim - his parents won't help me. Anon #2 - exactly.
    I am also in a differant state, so it's not like I can just go searching for him myself.

    Answer by KimSanAntonio at 9:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

  • I think it's diff in Canada where I am. I think they court's find him, when you have someone that's court appointed serve him. My friend is going through this right now! Do you mind me asking why you waited so long to collect anything from him? That might not work so well for you in court..unless he openly admits he's the father.


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

  • CSE can take him to court and ask for his social. Theyre giving you the run around. I would call and ask for their supervisor and ask why they arent doing that when its their job to collect cs from deadbeats and they have plenty of resources to get his social. If hes ever filed for unemployment from the state they can get it. The only other thing I can suggest is contacting his parents, friends, employer etc and ask them to have him cal you because he isnt paying his support. People dont like to have others know they suck and its amazing how much a simple call can sometimes motivate someone.

    Answer by gemgem at 9:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

  • The problem is with the child support office in this one. I didn't know anything on the father of my daughter except his name and last known address and they got him into court without issue. They served the papers to his parents house because he'd moved out of state or was driving trucks out of state I can't remember which. They ordered him into court where he was able to admit or deny my daughter and then when he denied her he was court ordered to do a dna test...I think the biggest thing with the child support office is just to be persistant if you don't keep pushing the issue with them they won't keep pushing the issue either. And once child support is established make sure to push the issue if he weasles out of paying it. They can get him into court somehow if you keep pushin it, especially since his parents are still at last known address...

    Answer by skylorna at 10:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

  • I think that if they don't have his address to serve him, a notice of the hearing can be placed in his local newspaper for so many weeks to serve as notice.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Preschoolers (3-4)
Discipline Suggestions?

Next question overall (Relationships)