• In the Spotlight:

Need help or shared experience with extremely colicky baby girl.

My daughter is about 5mo and for the past 2 months has been outrageously "colicky" (so her pedi tells me). Honestly, don't think it's colic but that's JMO. She just will not sleep. She wakes up every hour for the 10 hours she's in bed (finally falling asleep at 11pm), and only takes 2 30 minute naps a day. I know she's exhausted, but she just wakes up screaming every time after 5 minutes of being in her crib/swing/bassinet. I'm at my wits end- in college full time and working part time.. I'm exhausted and am pretty worried about her. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was VERY colicky for the first 3 months! I just think it could be something else at 5 months..if she's reacting that way when placed down to sleep and in her swing. I think you should get a second opinion! Ask the Doc about Acid reflux as well. I think something's not agreeing with her, any other symptoms..rash, vomiting or spitting up A LOT..or constipated etc...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Is she formula fed or breast fed?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• First if you are not getting the answer you would like from her DR then I would try and get another opinion. I would try and talk to people you know, who have kids, that have a different DR then you.

I know that when my oldest was a baby I knew something was wrong with him and the DR kept putting me off. I finally talked to my mother and she said, take him to someone else. I went to a knew DR and as soon as we walked in the DR knew what was wrong with him. I felt so much better knowing that I was not being an over protective new mom.

I know that when my DD was that age she cried all the time and the only time she did not cry is when I was holding her. I held her all the time and she finally grew out of it at 9 months or so.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• *Original Poster* She's nursing, and the only way to get her back to sleep is to nurse her.. and most of the time that doesn't work either. She has what her pedi calls a dry skin rash- red patches- some rather large, they just keep popping up. I've wondered about reflux, she seems to puke and swallow (sorry, gross i know), and then have the hiccups.
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Woops, don't know why I was anon first haha.
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• AND shes been very congested for th past month, but nothing will come out. Humidifiers, steaming in the bathroom, saine drops- you name it I've tried it.. tried to have her sleep in the carseat.. nothing.
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 10:01 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• She sounds as though with the puke and swallow it is acid reflux, it could also be siliac disease. I would go to a dif dr! Even if it is nothing at least it will calm your nerves. My 3yo was a terrible baby. She cried all day and night. The only thing that would stop her would be to let her nurse or just sit there and pacy my boob. LOL. It was very irritating. Also if I took a shower with her and let the water beat down on her back she would fall asleep, till we got out and had to diaper anyways. So I would get another opioin
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• She sounds like my son however I couldn't bf him. He had reflux and he had baby acne. I became very scared when he developed it but in about a week it was gone. However, back to the reflux we found that despite his small size when I put him in his swing with blankets around him to keep him safe he was sitting up and he slept. What I also did after he ate was put him up on my knees so he could digest his food. He also liked to be held which helped people used to tell me not to hold him to much but it was what helped! It took him a long time to trust people because he was used to me holding him but at least he was comfortable. I never liked the drops like I said I think sitting up helped him the most.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My son cried and cried for months just like that but he was bottle fed! Plus was so small it took us forever it seemed (in a moms world forever) that it was his stomach! We changed formulas and within a few days he was a much happier baby! Since she is nursing her stomach might not be agreeing with something you are eating! Its just a shot in the dark! I agree maybe its reflux! But i have been in your shoes! I really hope she gets to feeling better! I think my son was about 6 months before we got everyhthing figured out and on the right track! Plus a scheduled day is something i had to stick to like glue!!! ( for the sleep part)
    cortneydmorris

Answer by cortneydmorris at 10:22 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Nursing babies have reflux just as easy as bottle fed babies, Reflux has to do with the stomach, NOT the food. Anyways, it sounds like reflux. My daughter had it and was miserable, she would gulp, burp then scream. Laying down hurts like hell, especailyl if she is a back sleeper. I would seriously get her to another doc, reflux is easily treated and makes for a much happier baby
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2009