anybody hypoglycemic? i need help!

i'm having a really hard time with my diet. not for weight loss mind you, just to try to feel normal throughout the day. ever since i can remember i've been nauseous. i have a sweet tooth so i realized recently that i feel AWFUL for days after i eat any source of high sugar. the more research i do the more i'm realizing that like my grandfather i have hypoglycemia. now obviously i'm going to talk to a doctor about it more so i don't need that suggestion, but i'm wondering if anyone has any insights that i may have missed. i know i need a high protein, low carb and high fiber diet. meat and cheese seem to be something to avoid also, but this leaves me with soy and nuts for protein and i am allergic to nuts.

anybody with some experience? thanks!

juliness

Asked by juliness at 9:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Well first don't self diagnose. You may not simply be someone who has hypoglycemia but you could very well have diabetes....either type 1 or 2. Becuase a diabetic who has high blood sugar then has it fall rapidly or to low they also have a hypoglycemic episode. You basicaly feel hungry, get the shakes, headache, you can even slur words and pass out. You do not have to cut out meat and cheese. What you need is to eat smaller meals and have a healthy variety of all foods. A diabetic diet is the healthiest diet out there for everyone. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I've had "lows" from other things such as medication, flu shot, blood drawn, and of course not eating before work or a long period of time. Always keep a healthy snack on hand such as the 100 calorie packs that are bountiful today! But see your doctor and have a proper diagnoses
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I agree w/pp. Do not self diagnose. Have you tested your glucose levels? If so, where do they run? Also, if you have NOT tested yourself, you could actually be suffering HIGH blood sugar glucose! My dh has type II, and he feels low, sick, nausious, and he will test his sugar, and it sometimes is actually HIGHER than it should be.

I have low BS many times, and I feel sick and dizzy. Then I eat something sweet, and I feel better.

When you go see the Dr, make sure you get an A1C. This blood test will determine your last 3 months worth of blood sugar levels in an average. My husbands was tested, and it was 8.8 which is very high! Mine was averaged at a 5.1 which I believe is more ideal, but I eat a lot of sugar to keep my glucose up. If I took away the sugar, my levels drop, which isn't safe either.

Also, make sure you have a CBC. This is a complete blood count, and may determine possible other probs.
    coolmommyof3

Answer by coolmommyof3 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• my mom has it, she is always snacking on bananas, peanutbutter toast (no good 4 nut allergy) sugar free yogert, you should google ideas for it, i am sorry...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2009