What would you have done?

Yesterday my friend and I were talking about how her son (who just graduated kindergarten a few days ago) told her that the teacher was pulling children in the class aside (from what I understand, each of them) and telling them (paraphrased) that God makes parents to take care of the babies and the parents don't make them, God does. What would you have done if this had happened at your school, with your child? (she called and complained, but I forget the position of the person she spoke to. whoever it was did seem to take her seriously, though, and didn't just write her off)

Do you feel it's appropriate for a teacher to say these things, or for anyone to speak to someone else's child that way, especially a child young enough to be in kindergarten? How would you have handled it, even just in terms of speaking with your child? (she told him that there are people who believe in God and people who don't, and that both are okay)

For those who may say that they see nothing wrong with this (just in case there are any), what if it were reversed, and a teacher had said that God had nothing to do with it, and that the parents did it all by themselves, or if the teacher had said that a different God were responsible for their birth and that the parents, and the parents' God, had nothing to do with it?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 11:45 PM on May. 25, 2012 in Religious Debate

• That would not be okay with me and I would have set up a meeting with the principal & teacher to get this out in the open.
    No one but myself and DH have any business discussing with my children where babies come from.

I hope your friend doesn't drop this.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:51 PM on May. 25, 2012

• I would have honestly been pissed, and it has nothing to do with my religious beliefs. I don't think that a teacher (or anyone besides the parents/guardians raising the child) has any right to pull children aside and tell them things like that. Now if it was a church based thing (Sunday school, Bible camp, etc.), or even a Christian school, that would be one thing. But in a public school? No. I would have complained, and tried to explain to my child that some people believe that, but not everyone.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:54 PM on May. 25, 2012

• I don't think she intends to. She and her husband were both upset about it - not that they have any issue with religion, they plan on teaching their children the same way I do, exposing them to their options and letting them make a choice. They were just upset that this was done at school, without their prior knowledge or consent. She actually said she felt better, hearing *me* say that I didn't think it was right of the teacher to do that, because she knows I'm a religious nut, lol (I prefer to call myself an enthusiast, haha). But I think once she had confirmation that she wasn't just blowing it out of proportion, that it really wasn't right, she felt better, and I know she can be the "mamma bear" type, so I don't see her letting it go without at least knowing she was heard and *something* was done or said.
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 11:54 PM on May. 25, 2012

• i'd have a conversation with my child to make sure he understood what he thought he was told, first of all. i ask him what he thought, etc. ..in other words, it'd be a conversation between he and i. as Christians, we do believe God created all things; in that respect, it wouldn't go against our beliefs, fully.
    i wouldn't say anything to the school or teacher unless i was convinced he was speaking truthfully. not that he'd lie, but you know kids get things mixed up and important facets are lost in the translation. i don't agree that parents have nothing to do with having babies (hello, basic biology!); again, i'd talk to ds.
    having said that, i'm not saying what allegedly happened was right or wrong. if the reverse had happened, i would call the teacher and ask her to reiterate what i'd been told, to see if the stories lined up. i'd tell her she needed to stick to math and reading. then, i'd have another conversation with ds.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:56 PM on May. 25, 2012

• what reason, though, would a teacher have to pull students aside, individually, to discuss babies? that's what i'm getting at. there must've been more to the story/event than she just added her spiel to the lesson plans for that day, kwim?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:58 PM on May. 25, 2012

• "what reason, though, would a teacher have to pull students aside, individually, to discuss babies? that's what i'm getting at."

My friend was under the impression that this happened as they were working on fathers' day presents, because that was one of the last things they did in class. They were putting together pictures and things for the fathers of the students. So the whole idea of parents and all that would have segued into her God spiel.
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 12:02 AM on May. 26, 2012

• I wouldn't make a huge deal of it either way, at that young an age there is plenty of time to correct misconceptions. Every stupid thing someone says to your child is not drama worthy.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:13 AM on May. 26, 2012

• Yes dull, I agree that something is missing from the story
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:15 AM on May. 26, 2012

• I have to agree with dull and adnilm, I think there is something missing. I'd have to investigate further before jumping all over the teacher.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:24 AM on May. 26, 2012

• I personally think there is so much wrong with that ! - I never like to hear that a teacher is pulling students aside individually to discuss anything but behaviour, marks, schoolwork ! I especially don't like religious discussions at school - I think it's inappropriate ! Religion is for the home in my opinion, unless of course the school that parents knowingly enroll their child in is religion based ! That's one of the things I hate about religion is forcing one's beliefs on others ! I think a person's individual beliefs are sacred, not to be persuaded or discussed without mutual permission and understanding.....which is not going to be gained from a child as young as kindergarten.
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 7:26 AM on May. 26, 2012