Spoiled dog + baby on the way...

I've been stressing over this. My little Yorkie dog who has been my only "baby" up until now HATES kids (and a lot of other people too). I'm so worried about what he's going to do when my baby is born in June. I mean, I know I should have done more research on the breed before I got him, knowing that I wanted children in the future, but I didn't... Has anyone else had experience with a jealous dog and a newborn and any suggestions on how to set the rules and new boundaries for the dog?

gretch81

Asked by gretch81 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Pets

• Start weaning the attention of your Yorkie. Make sure dog is familiar with baby items so to not alarm the dog (swing/car seat etc). Make sure your other half brings baby blankets that your baby has been swaddled in home so that dog can become familiar with scent prior to bab coming home. It is remarkable how dogs will adjust to their own family members. Make sure baby is supervised with dog. Also make sure that once baby comes home that you still have fun time with your dog and keep the dog's routine consistent

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 2:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My Chloe isn't necessarily jealous, but I feel I'll have to be overly cautious with her until she's used to and calm around the baby. I am lucky to have 5 nieces and nephews, ages 6, 3,2,1, NB... Chloe gets to be around them and has introduced herself, but then again, they aren't climbing on and taking up her mom's entire lap... I've done everything I can to separate her from NEEDING to sit on my lap... make her lay at my feet or on the other end of the couch while I pay attention to the book I'm reading, or the show I'm watching. It's showing her that separation from me is ok. But I'd practice it sooner than later, that way later, she doesn't feel like you've just up and changed the rules, she may get bitter and associate the separation with the newcomer.

But IMO, yorkies do not make very good pets around new children. If you have the children first, most are fine. But the yorkie first, ehh... I'd be careful.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Yeah, I think you're right about starting to show him a little separation now rather then when the baby comes, makes sense, thanks.

yeah, just because they're small I guess they're not necessarily gonna be good with kids.
    gretch81

Answer by gretch81 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Can you borrow a doll that crys? And if you can take the doll and make believe you have a new born. Show it to your doggy and let him sniff it. As you get clothes or blankets for your baby put your sent on it and them the doll. Make a fuss with the baby doll like (oh look at the baby, how sweet, give baby kisses.) Transferr your attention between the two. Let your doggy know that this is the way it's going to be. A doll can be sacrificed if he chooses to bite it, or growl at it. Try helping him make friends with this baby doll. Start early and try really hard to have doggy pay a lot of attention to it. After baby comes the hope is that he will like the baby doll and will accept your time with the new baby. Learning to share is a tough business when it comes to being the only child. I would have hubby bring home the new baby scent from hospital after baby is born and put it on the doll. Good luck, and God Bless!
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 1:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I don't know if the doll thing will work my grandparents gave us one to try with our dog and he knew right away it wasn't real he took the hat of the doll then tried to chew the dolls head off. Dolls smell like plastic which is what there toys smell like a baby is different and the dog will know that. But he may still not care for the baby. I would start an obediance class and start treating the dog like a dog not a baby which is hard to do but necessary for your child. Start pulling on the dogs fur, ears, tail to start adjusting them to what a child will do. Definately have someone bring home a blanket from the baby at the hospital before the baby comes home to introduce the new smell.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• oh my. i babied my Jackyl. when i had damon he started sleeping on the couch instead of our bed. he would turn his head when i tried to kiss his nose. he use to rub his snout against my face when i did it. i got the cold shoulder big time. not towards my husband though. he hated ME all of a sudden. we were moving, staying at my moms. Jackyl hated it there. Damon was crawling toward the coffee table. Jackyl was on the floor sleeping. Damon put his hand on him to help get up and snip, right on the cheek. my husband got rid of him the next day. i miss him but my child means more to me. Jackyl seemed so stressed. I thought it could only get worse.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Thanks everyone, this is all great advice, i will try anything :)
    gretch81

Answer by gretch81 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2009