50th Wedding Anniversary

DH's parents will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary next month. I talked last year about starting to plan to throw them a party, SIL wanted to do it all, so I left it up to her saying that she should let me know if she needed any help. Fast forward two weeks before the anniversary only to find out that SIL has done absolutely NOTHING!

So obviously minus throwing them a party...what other ways would be good to celebrate their years of wedded bliss?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 7:29 AM on May. 26, 2012 in Relationships

• Make some phone calls to anyone you think your parents would love to see and say you will be having an open house for them to stop in for cake and coffee. Keep it simple. It's the thought that counts.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 11:05 AM on May. 26, 2012

• do ur own party for em ;)
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 7:44 AM on May. 26, 2012

• I called/ wrote to people....distant relatives we haven't heard from in a while and asked them to send a card/ write something about what they remember about my parents. I LOVED the idea, but people didn't come through the way I wanted. One of my dad's cousins (who was in my parents' wedding party) said he didn't remember Dad at all, just his brother, lol.....
    I just called nearby friends/relatives/neighbors (even those we just nod and say hi to) and had them over for cake. Mom especially loved the attention.
    My parents are going on 58 year in July.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:54 AM on May. 26, 2012

• Do you think its possible to rent a banquet hall perhaps..decorate with balloons, pictures of them as a couple over their years together, a cookout or going to a restaurant that's really nice. You could even have something at your house. I hope everything goes well for you!
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 8:30 AM on May. 26, 2012

• A couple of years before my mom died my parents through their own 50th anniversary party. They live in a 50+ community. They hired a caterer and held it at the club house. There were about 50 people total with my cousins, aunt and uncle, old friends and new friends from their community. The party was great and everyone had a great time.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:53 AM on May. 26, 2012

• Start calling up everyone they know and have a nice dinner party
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 11:42 AM on May. 26, 2012

• I'd put on a party for them. That's a HUGE event! Someone needs to make them feel important.
    onelove1982

Answer by onelove1982 at 11:42 AM on May. 26, 2012

• You might still be able to get something together as far as a party, though it might be too late to get any out of towners there.

We had a surprise party at a local resort, and contacted all the living members of their wedding party. Most of them did make it. We also put together an album of photos and quotes from family members.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:43 PM on May. 26, 2012

• Maybe a small family gathering at a nice restaurant.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:54 AM on May. 26, 2012

• If you can get the invitations out this weekend, it's not too late otherwise, you are too late for the party. We all threw my grandparents their 50th and my grandma LOVED it. She said it was as memorable as her wedding. If you can't do the party though, I guess you could take them out to their favorite nice restaurant, see if you can get the family and close friends to come as well
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:33 AM on May. 26, 2012