Before I joined CM, I had no idea there were debates on so many things parenting-related.

Did you? The latest one for me is giving my toddler juice. I posted in one of my groups about how much to dilute juice with water. My son is 2 and I regularly give him juice, along with milk & water. But some people act like giving him juice is giving him poison! I had no idea something so trivial was up for debate.

Vix920

Asked by Vix920 at 1:20 PM on May. 26, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• It's crazy isn't it? I never heard of these Mommy Wars either. I just did what I thought was best and continue to follow my judgement.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:34 PM on May. 26, 2012

• Yeah I got initiated by someone telling me to get a job, because my children were on Gov .insurance.  Funny thing was I already had a job and so did my dh.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:58 PM on May. 26, 2012

• It is entertaining to read the mommy debates.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:01 PM on May. 26, 2012

• There are some people whose whole self-images seem to be dependent on their "perfect" parenting, whatever "perfect" means to them. It certainly seems to mean that ANY deviation from what they do is some form of abuse.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:25 PM on May. 26, 2012

• laughingoh I have learned TONS and Im in my late 40s.

I had no idea that there were so many debates.  I also really had no idea how many parents there were that didnt know who the father was, who had MANY fathers, how many issues there were with welfare, how many issues sahm had, how many superior parents there were, how many woman have husbands but hate men in gneral, how horrible men were, how perfect these women were, how horribly rude mothers can be, and basically saw a WHOLE SECTION of humanity I have never ever seen in real life.

Anonymous

• I had no idea there was such a debate about sahms and working ones.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:45 PM on May. 26, 2012

• LOL, I was the same, I didn't know there was so much to debate about till I became a mother. CM has actually been a great resource to me.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:01 PM on May. 26, 2012

• SAHM & working was another one I was stunned by, too. I wish I could be a SAHM but financially it just wouldn't work for us. Plus, I carry the health insurance since I work for BCBS. There are definitely opinions I have but I didn't realize they were such hot-button issues!
    Vix920

Comment by Vix920 (original poster) at 4:06 PM on May. 26, 2012

• I think for most people, there aren't many hot-button issues, but for a few very vocal people, the world of parenting is all about good vs. evil. Most of us make compromises and don't want to condemn others when they're just trying to do a decent job.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:41 PM on May. 26, 2012

• Yeah, I had no idea until I became a mom and all these people started telling me EVERYTHING that I was doing wrong, because you know their kids must be perfect little angels. Apparently having the TV on in the background is bad, juice is bad (even though DD rarely drinks it), if she has chicken fingers when we are on the go and eating out I must be a terrible mother. No hat on my son when it is 65 out? Shame on me. I let it roll off my back now.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 4:58 PM on May. 26, 2012