i really need help with my almost 4 year old who is being stubborn about potty training! I have tried everything! I am about to talk to his ped! Its strange he tells me he doesnt want underwear or big boy things! I am really lost and confused about this!

The other day he told me i no use the potty and laughed! i am so upset about all of this! He goes to preschool during the day but they tell me they think i should wait till warm weather! Then he will be over 4!! I want their cooperation and i am really not wanting to wait till it gets warm! Do you think i am being unrealistic? I am down because i think i am failing in some way! PLEASE HELP!!!

cortneydmorris

Asked by cortneydmorris at 10:32 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't know how to help BUT your not failing you just have a stubborn child. That happens!
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 10:36 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Has he started school yet? My ST was in not trained by 4. He pooped & peed his pants the fist day of school & never did it again after that. He was SO embarased. But up until then, i think he enjoyed people changing him. He expected it, like he WANTED to be waited on hand and foot. It drove me crazy. I hated that he was so embaraed at the first day of school, but at least it taught him a very good lesson. And i was done w/ having to wipe his big boy bum ( it was so wierd changing him w/ his long big boy legs, it didn't seem right to me)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• is there a new baby in the picture or any reason for him to be craving more attention? When i was potty training my daughter she started with with not wanting to be a big girl right after her baby brother was born. she even started reverting to baby talk. They just get flat out stubborn, try to shame him a little. Tell him that all his friends are going to start laughing at him if he's still in diapers when they're all in big boy undies and things of that nature. it helped with my daugther...hope it helps a little for you.
    skylorna

Answer by skylorna at 10:44 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• When I potty trained my son (and my daughter for that matter), I just took a whole week off. We didn't go anywhere and they spent every minute of every day in a t-shirt and cotton underwear. I would have them sit on the potty every 20 minutes or so, I loaded them up with drinks so that they would go even more often. Since your son is older than mine were, he may catch on even faster. Once you start though, don't back down. If he is asking you for a diaper (or pull-up) then he has to go to the potty. Let him pick out some cool big boy undies. While you are spending that time at home, read stories and cuddle, make it all about him. A little shame won't hurt him either, tell him all of his friends go pee pee in the potty like big boys, don't you want to be a big boy too? (he'll say no at first) Bribe him too, I had to bribe my son with M&M's. He only got them if he pee'd in the potty, so he tried extra hard.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Tell him they don't make diapers in his size anymore and that you're all out of them...that they're only making them for babies now. You can even show him the box and prep him a week in advance....Show him the underwear he'll be wearing when they're gone and just keep saying.."there's only 2 left..." And when it's the last one use it up and start underwear. Use some potty rewards and hope he buys it!
    ***tricky part is at night..if he's on pullups now buy him the pullup boxer shorts so they are different***
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• forgot....
    ***plan the last one to be used up on a weekend so you have a couple days to soley devote to that change at home***
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Use something that means a lot to him but explain to him its only for "big boys". My DS was told that they don't let kids who poop their pants in the pool. He knew that his big sis would be going for swim lessons and wanted to be included for that. We were unfortunate with the fact that it ended up he had a physical issue that explained his inability to potty train (encopresis). The other thing is to be positive about it. Don't let him see that it frustrates you. The one plus about them being potty trained later is that once he decides to do it, he will be trained. No accidents or anything like that. Good luck! I've been there too!
    AlexnJoesMom

Answer by AlexnJoesMom at 9:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2009