How do you define upper class (financially)?

This is a spin off of the how do you define poor question. The responses were interesting.

How much "stuff" makes you think someone has money? Do you consider their debt load?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• they usually have sticks hanging out their asses
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Awww, is somebody feeling jealous?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I would say upper class is being able to actually afford certain luxury items. Not living check to check, having a healthy savings, retirement account, owning a large home (McMansion), possibly owning a vacation home, being a member at exclusive social clubs, having a high paying profession which yields a high income--say over $250,000 a year (which varies GREATLY depending on where in the country you live!), etc.

Basically not worrying about making ends meet. Mind you that I said ACTUALLY being able to AFFORD--not going in to major debt trying to keep up with the Jones'!

BUT, as we all know...money CAN'T buy class!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:55 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Someone who doesn't have to live pay to pay just to survive. Someone who has a nice home and nice cars, able to eat at fancy restaurants all the time, able to take vacations every year, able to risk losing $$ in stocks, able to provide funds for a good college education to their kids.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• BUT, as we all know...money CAN'T buy class!!!

Thats for d*&^ sure as many moms on these threads have made very clear!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Just as my answer for "poor", this term is relative.
    My opinion would be, People who live a higher socioeconomic class, are in a higher tax bracket.

However, with Obama and Democrats the number seems to lower by the minute ;oP
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• btw, this is a good article I had bookmarked from the campaign days.
    http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/is_there_a_standard_accepted_definition_of.html
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• You know I know somebody who makes 85,000 a year and is still living paycheck to paycheck. I myself make less than 20,000 a year and do not live paycheck to paycheck. The only government assistance I get is medicaid. only because im pregnant. BY the way the person I am speaking of lives in my neighborhood so the cost of living is about the sae. but when you start out spending more thn you get in and then get a pay raise you spend even more because you have ore money and it only gets worse.
    I dont think it has anything to do with living paycheck to paycheck its how much you actually make.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 11:07 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I believe that the IRS defines wealthy as someone that makes more than $150,000 single file, and $200,000 joint.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• my own pov is those who can afford anything/everything they want (w/o debt), can buy cars w/ cash, can put their kids thru college w/o any loans/scholarships, and could lose their job w/o worry cause they have plenty saved up/invested.

these kinda ppl dont always live as well as you'd think. both my grandparens & great-grandfather are upper class. but you'd never know it b/c they live WAY under their means. they have TONS of money & could do all the things i listed, but they don't let ppl know they are rich...i guess its that depression era spirit.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2009