• In the Spotlight:

First road trip with a 4 m/o any tips?

We're going to visit family who live 5 hours away, and I've never traveled that far with my 4 m/o daughter. Any tips or suggestions for the car ride and keeping her on her normal routine? Thanks!

julipickle

Asked by julipickle at 10:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She'll probably sleep the majority of the way. feed right before right in the middle and at the end of the trip that way your not pulling over constantly.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 10:48 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• She will probably sleep the whole time.
    I am from Louisiana and running from a hurricane isnt any fun with a 2 week old.. and the 2nd time she was 1 1/2 but she slept the whole time both times.
    you probably wont have any probs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• when my son was 4 months old we went to Virgina. my friend also had a 3 month old. it was a 26 1/2 hr ride straight. they where rly good. at that little she sleep the wjole way.
    mamaof2boys148

Answer by mamaof2boys148 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• If your baby doesn't mind the car seat she'll probably be ok. I would advise taking frequent breaks to give her some time out of the seat though. Take your time getting there. Hopefully she'll sleep most of the time. Get some music for the car and some little toys for her to play with. A day in the car won't effect her schedule much. You should be able to just start her normal schedule right away at your destination. I find that scheduling isn't that difficult when traveling because they are usually so worn out from the trip that they want the sleep.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 11:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• We took my ds on an 18 hour rd trip to florida at 5 months. The trick was we left at his bed time. Fed him before we left and he fell asleep in the car and slept all night long and we drove through the night. SO if you dont want to interupt routine, you could leave at bed time. I highly recomend it as I did a day trip when he was 2 months old that was only a 2 hour trip and he cried the whole time.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 12:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2009