Legal definition of the term family..... PLEASE READ

What are the advantages and disadvantages of not having a universal legal definition for the term "family" in the United States? This is for a class and to be honest.. I DON"T KNOW.. I need some ideas from you ladies!

NOTE: I had no clue what category to choose...

USNavyWife0330

Asked by USNavyWife0330 at 10:28 PM on May. 26, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Advantages and disadvantage's are very similar to the issues with marriage vs. civil union. the legal rights granted by the definition of family: inheritance's, power of attorney, rights of survivor-ship, guardianship's, financial obligation's and more.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:33 AM on May. 28, 2012

• OP, there are SOOOO many definitions for 'family', it gonna be hard to explain. In what context are you needing the legal definition for?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:37 PM on May. 26, 2012

• >>>>A group of individuals who share ties of blood, marriage, or adoption; a group residing together and consisting of parents, children, and other relatives by blood or marriage; a group of individuals residing together who have consented to an arrangement similar to ties of blood or marriage.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:40 PM on May. 26, 2012

• Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:42 PM on May. 26, 2012

• NO NO NO... pretend for a moment that there is not a legal definition for family ... what would be the advantages and disadvantages? This is for my Family Law class
    USNavyWife0330

Comment by USNavyWife0330 (original poster) at 10:42 PM on May. 26, 2012

• For me personally, my family consists of DH and 2 sons, plus the close friends we have in our life.

We're all here for each other when we need someone, regardless of the circumstances.

I find that our friends can be better than family.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:46 PM on May. 26, 2012

• When I say family I do mean parents, siblings etc. We're not close at all.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:47 PM on May. 26, 2012

• Ohhh ok.....I think I like the legal thing lol.....I am with PMSMom, me and my family are not close at all anymore, and with my mom dying back in 2010, its worse. I have my dd and mu husband, and I am perfectly ok with that.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:59 PM on May. 26, 2012

• There needs to be a definition for various contracts throughout our lives. A universal definition would hurt some aspects of our lives~ whether too loose or too strict on restrictions. A lack of a definition would be a free for all in terms of entitlements, etc.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:54 AM on May. 27, 2012

• one person is family.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 1:38 AM on May. 29, 2012