Why can't I be a surrogate if I'm on government assistance?

I have always wanted to be a surrogate. I'm kind of addicted to pregnancy. But why anvil not allowed because of government assistance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on May. 27, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Can I be on public assistance, such as welfare, and become a Surrogate?

No, you must be able to support yourself without public assistance before you are qualified to be a Surrogate. Surrogacy can not be your primarily source of income.

http://www.thrivingsurrogate.com/faq.html

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:27 AM on May. 27, 2012

• Using Medicaid for surrogate pregnancy is fraud, and purchasing a policy for a surrogate mom is very expensive.
    Plus, the baby you're carrying is not your child and any money you receive would need to be claimed for income taxes as earned income. Which this would discontinue any Government assistance in the future.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:27 AM on May. 27, 2012

• Can I be a Surrogate Mother if I am on Welfare, Cash Aid or Public Assistance?

Unfortunately, receiving benefits from the State makes you ineligible to be a Surrogate Mother at this time. By law, you must report any monies that you receive and and that may jeopardize your family’s benefits. Remember that you are receiving those benefits to take care of your family. There is no guarantee that you will become pregnant timely, or at all. And the money you receive as a Surrogate Mother is not that significant and is only for a year. Once you are off of assistance for 6 months, you can apply to our Program.

http://www.buildingfamiliesinc.com/frequently-asked-questions-for-surrogate-mothers/#publicAssistance

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:29 AM on May. 27, 2012

• you have to be able to fully support yourself and then some, to prove that you are not going into surrogacy just for the money. i just read an article about it last week.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 1:17 AM on May. 27, 2012

• If you are on government assistance, the assumption is you wouldn't be able to survive without. No intended parent want to risk having a woman carry their baby if they are in dire financial need. If you need money so badly, whose to say you won't keep the baby at the end for more money or string alone another couple getting money from them too? Or if you can't afford food, how will you be able to give yourself the proper nutrition while pregnant? And if the doctor puts you on bedrest for some reason, you will ignore it because you have to work and make money. And like someone else said, it's not a lot of money, about minimum wage for a year, so not enough to solely support yourself. And it's illegal to use medicaid to pay for a surrogate pregnancy. Agencies want to be sure you are motivated by the right reasons because Intended parents only have 1-2 shots to get this right and don't want to take avoidable chances.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:32 AM on May. 27, 2012

• Thankfully it is not allowed.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:13 AM on May. 27, 2012

• Thank you all for your answers. I start working again soon so I will be off assistance shortly. This is something I really want to do. Not for money but my reason is a bit selfish, I love being pregnant.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:58 PM on May. 27, 2012

• anon:  Well, you've gotten some good answers here.  So while you think your reason is a "bit selfish", I have to commend you for the wonderfully selfless act that it is! :p To do that for another couple is such an incredible gift. GL!!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:40 AM on May. 28, 2012

• tell them is not for the money,, is for the miracle for a new baby for a rich family ...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 2:25 AM on Jul. 21, 2012

• I think that is so silly, they should let you keep your assistance under special circumstances. Or if anything take you off of assistance once you get pregnant and start getting in money from it and then when you are not getting income again, allow you to reapply for it.
    rockabell.2009

Answer by rockabell.2009 at 9:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2012