Adoption

Has anyone been adopted? How was your experience? Did you ever find and/or meet your birth parents?

Has anyone ever adopted? How was your experience? Would you let the birth parents meet your child(ren)? Why/why not?

SeedsOfLove

Asked by SeedsOfLove at 11:15 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Adoption

• My daughter was adopted at birth. My experience was like a roller coaster ride. I was not prepared for all the emotions. I knew that I would have emotions, but just prepared for them all. It was harder than I thought it ever would be. I have an open adoption and my daughters birthmother will forever remain in my heart. I also love the birth father and his family. My door is open anytime, any day of the year for the birthfamily. My daughter is young yet, but knows the words adoption, and knows the names of her birthfamily. It will always be open, never any secrets.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:19 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I am adopted. My experience have been very good. I have the best parents in the world. They raised me into the person I am today and I could not ask for more. I am one of the lucky few!!!!!!!!
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• We adopted and are open as well. Each situation is different though, sometimes it is not good for the child to be open. I am speaking of foster care adoption.
    redheadedmommie

Answer by redheadedmommie at 11:25 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• We adopted our daughter at 3wks through domestic open adoption. We were not matched til after she was born and although it would of been nice to of been there, I think it would of been a lot of pressure on her birth parents. We have a very open adoption with our daughter's birth family, not only does she see each of her birth parents, she also sees her birth siblings and grandparents at least three times a year, usually a lot more. They are all welcome to our home and we have been to their's. For starting out in the process we were hoping for a closed relationship and never expected an open one. Today we can't imagine having a closed relationship with her birth family and are glad that we opened ourselves to such a great extended family! We are currently going through the adoption process once more and hope we have just as postive experience as we do with our daughter's family.
    waiting4-2

Answer by waiting4-2 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• We adopted our daughter. We were chosen by the BMom when she was pregnant knowing we were entering into an open adoption. DD was born 9 weeks early and BMom decided to parent...then changing her mind back to the adoption plan three months later. We brought DD home at 3 months 3 days old. I think at first there were a lot of mixed emotions from both ends with no one really clear on how we should act or if there were any rules in which we needed to follow. This all started problems that eventually lead to stopping of all communication. Although we have had our share of problems with the BFamily (and I'm sure they'd say the same about us), we are all working really hard right now to keep the communication open.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• We adopted our son through private adoption. Through friends of friends our son's birth mom heard of us and wanted to meet us. We talked over the phone and made plans to meet at her doctor's appointments. Over the course of her pregnancy we got to know one another very well. She wanted us also to be there for the delivery. That delivery day when we held him in our arms we were so excited we thought our hearts would burst from joy!! Our son's birth mom will always hold a special place in our hearts. Our son is 3 years old and we still communicate, send lots of pictures and updates to his birth mom. Our son is being raised knowing the love of his birth parents and his adoptive parents. Our son is the answer to our many years of prayers!! We thank God our paths crossed with such a loving and courageous birth mom.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My children are adopted and it was a wonderful experience. I have the best children in the entire world. I would love for them to meet their birthmom someday, but not their birthfather because he's dangerously mentally ill.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 8:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• AllAboutKeeley,

Is it just in your case that there were no rules for the open adoption, or are there usually rules held in place so no confusion could be instilled among the parties?
    SeedsOfLove

Answer by SeedsOfLove at 10:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• What made you decided to adopt?
    SeedsOfLove

Answer by SeedsOfLove at 10:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• aznblond9,
    I'm so glad you have has such a wonderful experience! Would your experiences make you want to adopt? Why/Why not?
    SeedsOfLove

Answer by SeedsOfLove at 10:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2009