How do you handle "talking back" from your 6 year old?

I have 6 year old twins (b/g) and 2 younger girls - my oldest daughter (6) talks back all the time - she has always been a bit sassy. Nothing seems to bother her (taking things away, ignoring the behavior, talking it out, putting her in room) - looking for some advice on how to handle.thanks!

Fabwith4

Asked by Fabwith4 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm having the same problem and have been for a while. The only thing that helps at all is doing somekind of reward system. I have a chart of ''goals'' for her to accomplish each day and she gets points for them. Then she can use the points for privileges,even simple ones like watching TV. I don't take away rewads she's earned, but I don't reward her when she hasn't earned anything. It has improved her behavior quite a bit, but the back talking is still a problem for me.
    rjsudler

Answer by rjsudler at 11:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My fiance has twins 6 years old as well. (I have a 4 year old). We do want you do..What has worked well is taking something that we all planned to do together as a family and have them sit out and watch..Sounds mean, but it has worked. My fiance talks to them everytime they do not respect the rules. We also have done a chart, and that seems to help. Being consistant is really the key and sometimes is hard to do but has to be done.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I have a 6 year old girl who is doing the same thing i can take things away for days and put her in time out and have even givin her a couple swats on the butt here latley but NOTHING is working Iv tried just sitting down with her and having a long talk and telling her what is is doing is not approriate and that it will not be tolerated and she just will not stop!! She is so respectful of her father (we are divorced) and he lives outta state but even when shes around him she is totally nice and just a different kid!! I dont know what to do I can take things away when shes bad or reward her when shes good but it always just ends up with her being mean and mouthy!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I don't know how bad it is, so I don't know if it'll work for you. But I have 2 things I do when my kids get mouthy. One is I will look at them, and in a very calm, but firm voice I say "Is that how you talk to me?" or "Did you just talk to me the way I think you did?" The answer is always "No!" followed very quickly by an "I'm sorry" and whatever they originally said in a much more respectful tone. OR two is I just completely ignore them. I don't look at them, don't respond, don't blink, nothing. I just pick up my book or focus on TV, or continue my conversation, whatever, as if they never even spoke. I keep doing that until they speak to me the right way, and then I respond as though that's the first time they spoke at all. Hope that helps a bit.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I have twins too. I look over my glassses and stare at her until she is done, then I say "what did you just do wrong?" Then I just keep staring at her until I finally say "What should you do to make this right?" She will usually apologize, if not she goes to her room until she can act right. If she comes out and is still ugly I send her right back. This will take time, my dtr is 7 and she is finally getting better. Oh and when she wants to go somewhere, say "I am embarassed to take you cause of your sassy mouth and don't take her. The next time she asks, take her and if she sasses, the first tiem she sasses, say "we must go." and go. She'll get the pic, eventually.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It seems like this is common problem for girls this age. I wanted to add that my dd also responds very well to her father and a lot of times I just have to let him deal w/ her.
    rjsudler

Answer by rjsudler at 3:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i wish i had a mom like some of ya'll because if i were to get mouthy with my mom at 6. i would be pickingmy teeth off the floor.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 6 and in the first grade. We have had problems with her before but normally it is a slip up. After Christmas holidays things have gotten really bad. I went to her awards program for straight A's and she won her class spelling bee. Afterwards, we went to the store to get a few things and I had a Sherrif walk us out of the store because she made such a scene because she couldn't have something she wanted. She gets a letter sent home from School saying she was talking and passing "love" notes in class. Then, she comes home and hangs me a write-up slip for not obeying the bus driver. At home it is worse because she acts like she can do whatever she wants and I have tried everything. Her behavor is starting to rub off on her 2 younger brothers (2,3). I just wish I could find something, anything to get the child back I know she is.
    MysticalCeCe

Answer by MysticalCeCe at 11:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Hot sauce in the mouth when they talk fresh, not a lot...just enough. They'll get the point real fast and it doesn't hurt them but sure does teach them a lesson.
    KatieMommy9303

Answer by KatieMommy9303 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2009