Hat are your kids snack schedule? Like when do you allow them to have snacks? my kids are 4,7 and almost 10 months

the 10 month old I give snacks here and there. But my 4 and 7 year old seems to always want to snack. I will by snacks (enough for the week) and they will be gone before Friday (which is payday) we can't buy anymore snacks until pay day. But it seems like they are asking for a snack every 5 minutes. Then dinner we eat anywhere from 5-6 depending on hen I get it started usually it is done by 530 though, but they will ask 5-10 minutes after dinner for a snack and then I tell them no not until 7 since they go to bed at 8 or 830. With summer and them being home alot more I need to figure out a plan of some kind. School days my oldest gets home at 243 and my middle dd gets home at 1230. They usually wake at 8 and eat breakfast then they have lunch usually around 12 then dinner around 530 so how much snacks do you give? What are their schedules?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on May. 27, 2012 in General Parenting

• mine usually only get one snack a day, mid-afternoon, because they have a good breakfast and lunch is fairly early - during the school year anyway. during the summer, we are more likely to have 2 snacky meals than lunch, so no snacks. if we are traveling or out and about for a day or weekend, they definitely eat a lot more snacks (i pack more than enough).
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 2:39 PM on May. 27, 2012

• My 1 and 3 yo's are home with me. They have breakfast around 8, snack around 10-10:30, and lunch between 12-12:30. They snack again after naps when my 10, 12, and 14 yo get home from school and snack around 4. We eat supper around 5:30 and the little ones go to bed at 7:30 and 8.
    During the summer, they can have fresh fruit or veggies anytime of day. They can also do air popped popcorn in a brown bag in the microwave (buying just the kernels and doing them that way is much cheaper and healthier than packaged microwave popcorn). But other than that, they just eat breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and supper.

Answer by missanc at 1:40 PM on May. 27, 2012

• they normally only eat cereal or toast for breakfast and lunch is usually a sandwich because like if I make spaghettio's or something like that they don't like them, my oldest doesn't like pizza,s (she is very picky) they don't like pot pies or anything like that. My oldest doesn't like spaghetti sauce, but yet she likes the school spaghetti lol. She doesn't like pizza store bought or pizza places, but yet she likes the school pizza lol. when you make homemade tacos she doesn't like the meat so eats a taco without meat, but yet at taco bell likes the meat lol. She makes no sense so I don't ant to go through trying to find hat they both like for lunch so it is usually sanwiches lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:05 PM on May. 27, 2012

• Assuming three meals a day at the "usual" times for meals, my kids usually snack mid-morning ("second breakfast"--today it was just some English muffins & some herbal tea that they had iced) and mid-afternoon. If they asked more often, I'd give them something, so it's not really that I only "allow" snacking at those specific times.

I am not sure what your snack foods are but maybe you can mix it up & consider some less pricey options (less packaging, or made from scratch instead of prepared.)
    The popcorn suggestion was a good one. (I buy popcorn from the bulk bins & cook it in a pan with coconut oil.) If your kids will eat hummus, you could make your own rather than buying it packaged. We bought lots of avocados early this month when they were on sale (probably because of Cinco de Mayo) & made guacamole several times. Cheese is a standby, fruit, sliced peppers, boiled eggs, pancakes (homemade, frozen, then warmed in toaster.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:40 PM on May. 28, 2012